Moe, with help from Smithers, turns his tavern into a gay bar for the average homosexual man — and face competition from a glitzy, stereotypical camp gay disco across the street. Meanwhile, Principal Skinner forces Bart to spend time with a substitute teacher's daughter while he gets cozy with the substitute.
* CallBack: Moe has pictures of how Moe changed his bar in ''[[Recap/TheSimpsonsS13E3HomerTheMoe Homer the Moe]]'' (not to be confused with this episode, "Homer the Moe" is the one where Moe turns his bar into a hipster nightclub while Homer turns his garage into a bar for average Joes), ''[[Recap/TheSimpsonsS7E4BartSellsHisSoul Bart Sells His Soul]]'' (the subplot of Moe turning his bar into a kitschy family restaurant), and ''[[Recap/TheSimpsonsS16E7MommieBeerest Mommie Beerest]]'' (Moe teaming up with Marge to make an English pub).
* MistakenForGay: The gay patrons think Moe is one of them, and he tries to run with it just to keep them from leaving the bar (while also being convinced to run for the elections to represent the gay community). Smithers forces him to admit the truth.
* NamesTheSame: There is another ''Simpsons'' episode called "[[Recap/TheSimpsonsS3E10FlamingMoes Flaming Moe's]]", (the one where Moe steals Homer's idea for a cocktail made with children's cough syrup and Aerosmith becomes the first band to guest star on a ''Simpsons'' episode) which had a drink called "The Flaming Moe."
* PetHeir: One of the beneficiaries in Mr. Burns' will.
* StrangeMindsThinkAlike: Once Mr. Burns' daily half hour of sanity ends, he starts riding his lawyer while he imagines he's riding a dinosaur. When Homer entered Burns' office, he also believed a dinosaur was there.
* UncannyFamilyResemblance: Comic Book Guy's cousin Comic Book Gay looks like Comic Book Guy with a moustache.