Jealous of the sisterly bond between Lisa and Maggie, Bart sets out to get a little brother -- first by making Homer and Marge have sex, then by adopting an orphan.
* BrickJoke / FunnyBackgroundEvent: Homer's scene with the dynamite ends in the next scene with Bart and the social worker.
* CallBack: Nelson and the Tac-Tics
* ContinuityNod: [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS4E6ItchyAndScratchyTheMovie Tac-Tics]]
** Also [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS4E9MrPlow The Plow King]]
* OutnumberedSibling: Bart started feeling this in this episode. He even imagined what his future would be like if his attempts to trick his parents in having another child resulted in a third girl.
** Later, Charlie (the orphan acting as Bart's brother) is adopted by a couple with six daughters.
* ShoutOut: The scene of Bart telling his friends about his baby brother dilemma looks and is "animated" like ''WesternAnimation/SouthPark''.
* SiblingsWanted: Bart tries to convince his parents to have another boy, but gives up when Marge points out that even if she and Homer ''did'' want another child (which they don't), it might end up being another sister.