Jealous of the sisterly bond between Lisa and Maggie, Bart sets out to get a little brother -- first by making Homer and Marge have sex, then by adopting an orphan.
* BrickJoke / FunnyBackgroundEvent: Homer's scene with the dynamite ends in the next scene with Bart and the social worker.
* CallBack: Nelson and the Tac-Tics
* ContinuityNod: [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS4E6ItchyAndScratchyTheMovie This isn't the first time Bart replaced a woman's birth control pills with Tic-Tacs]] (only they're called "Tac-Tics" here).
** Also [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS4E9MrPlow Barney Gumbel still has his job as The Plow King]]
* OutnumberedSibling[=/=]RealityEnsues[=/=]SiblingsWanted: Bart starts feeling the first trope in this episode, but when he tries convincing his parents to have another kid and explains to Marge ''why'' he wants a brother so badly, his mom, although she feels sorry for Bart, explains that she and Homer are fine with just three kids. She also points out that even if they ''do'' end having another baby, it might end up be another girl instead of a boy (resulting in Bart possibly having three sisters). This is what ultimately leads to the third trope, for when Bart tries adopting an orphan boy as his brother.
** Later, Charlie (the orphan acting as Bart's brother) is adopted by a couple with six daughters.
* ShoutOut: The scene of Bart telling his friends about his baby brother dilemma looks and is "animated" like ''WesternAnimation/SouthPark''.