Episode - 7G12\\
First Aired - 4/29/1990
Local kids' show host Krusty the Clown is arrested and convicted of robbing the Kwik-E-Mart after Homer (who was buying groceries there) identifies him in a line-up, but Bart and Lisa do some sleuthing of their own to clear their hero's name.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* EarlyInstallmentWeirdness: Within the Itchy and Scratchy continuity, the theme tune contains cartoon sound effects and the cartoon itself wasn't as violent and bloody as later installments.
** Krusty is a happy, upbeat clown who means well for all children and is even grateful to Bart after he saved him. This is a sharp contrast with his later more careless persona (though the fact that Krusty has been entertaining kids for years and has to deal with idiot executives, sycophantic fans, the excesses of fame, and competition from other shows may have made him bitter and cynical).
*** At one point before getting arrested, he was drinking liquor. Later episodes would have him hooked on everything from sex to gambling to shoe polish to moon rocks ground up and smoked like crack cocaine.
** In this episode we also see him without make-up, something the animators avoided in later episodes because it made Krusty look too much like Homer, indeed, later episodes would suggest that Krusty isn't wearing make-up at all.
*** Krusty making a commercial to sell pork rinds is very weird, considering he would later be identified as being Jewish (though "Like Father Like Klown" revealed that Krusty was trying to run from his Jewish upbringing because his father disowned him).
** Reverend Lovejoy's voice sounds very hammy compared to later episodes.
** The "whodunit" plot is rather simple and easy to solve, compared to the more complex detective plots of later episodes, such as the [[Recap/TheSimpsonsWhoShotMrBurns Who Shot Mr. Burns]] two-parter.
** Chief Wiggum is shown to be more competent. He was even angry at Homer for laughing at the clowns when he's supposed to identify Krusty.
** Judge Schneider and Lou the police officer are colored with the same yellow skin as the Caucasian characters. In their later appearances, both of these characters are black.
* EurekaMoment: When Sideshow Bob tells Bart that Krusty left big shoes to fill, this causes The Boy to realize something that everyone else missed- that the Krusty at the robbery yelled in pain when Homer stepped on his shoe, but Krusty has normal sized feet- Bob, on the other hand, has feet big enough to fill those shoes!
* GetAholdOfYourselfMan: Lisa slaps Bart across the face to try and convince him that Krusty's in jail and he should get over it.
* HappyBirthdayToYou: Every time it's the birthday of a kid in the live audience, the kid may pick up one of two options: have Krusty sing a birthday song; or shoot Sideshow Bob off a cannon. To Bob's dismay, all kids seem to prefer the cannon.
* HollywoodHeartAttack: During Kent Brockmann's report reviewing Krusty's career, a clip is shown of the clown suffering a massive heart attack while performing on live television. Krusty begins clutching his chest and screaming in pain as the children laugh and cheer wildly at what they think is part of a comedy routine.
** AllPartOfTheShow: The kids' initial reaction to Krusty's heart attack.
-->'''Krusty:''' Don't blame me, I didn't do it!\\\
'''Krusty doll:''' I didn't do it!\\
'''Bart:''' [[TearJerker I wish I could believe you, Krusty.]]
* MagicalSecurityCam: Averted by director Brad Bird, who took care to stage all the actions of the robbery so they could be captured from one angle, at a spot where a security camera would realistically be.
* ShoutOut: To ''WesternAnimation/ScoobyDooWhereAreYou'', as Sideshow Bob is carted off to jail, he says: "I would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids".
* SpecialGuest: Creator/KelseyGrammer as Sideshow Bob.
* StartOfDarkness: This was the first full appearance of Sideshow Bob -- who would later become Bart's AxCrazy ArchEnemy.
* VillainousBreakdown: Bob has a very subtle one when he gets taken to jail. He starts out more annoyed rather than angry during his "Meddling Kids Remark." Then shouts out to everyone to [[NotNowKiddo treat kids as equals]] in a more operatic tone, before his voice finally breaks into panic knowing that his plan crumbled.
* WhatAnIdiot: InUniverse and pointed out by Lisa and Bart. In Sideshow Bob's eagerness to frame Krusty and send him to jail forever, he forgets a number of key facts that he knew about his co-star: He knew Krusty is illiterate, yet he is seen (via the security camera) reading a magazine at the counter, waiting for the store to clear out, and Bob (as Krusty) stood near a microwave oven, which Krusty can't do because he has an artificial pacemaker implanted in his heart (which was also captured via security camera). Naturally, when Bart points this out, Bob tries to bluff an explanation that Krusty was never very smart and liked to look at the pictures, but it sets up Bob's downfall.