Ralph is chosen as the Presidential candidate for 2008 after the town tires of the media hype about the elections and the empty promises from other candidates.
* AttackOfThePoliticalAd: The episode closes with a campaign ad for Ralph.
-->'''Ralph:''' ''(sitting on the lap of the Lincoln Memorial)'' I want a tricycle, a dog who won't chew my Hot Wheels and a brighter future for America. I'm Ralph Wiggum and I've been a good boy.
* BannedInChina: The episode didn't air in Argentina and other Latin American countries (except for Colombia, Mexico, Chile, and Venezuela) because of Lenny and Carl's conversation about Juan Peron making political dissidents "disappear" and mistaking Madonna for his wife, Evita.
* CallBack: Lisa mentioned she and Ralph once dated.
* HandWave: Lisa points out that Ralph isn't old enough to run for office, but Bart says the Patriot Act killed the Constitution.
* ImagineSpot: Subverted for laughs--Homer imagines what a "think tank" is like...and it turns out that his interpretation is perfectly accurate, much to the surprise of everyone else.
-->'''Homer:''' What, I can't get one right?
* INeedToGoIronMyDog: To force a man to stop a conversation with Mr. Burns (ItMakesSenseInContext), Homer phoned the man claiming to have abducted the man's wife or, if the man doesn't have a wife, his brother. Then he said if the man obeyed all instructions his ''dog'' would be free.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Homer about his candidate of choice after hearing that candidate appeared in the same issue of ''The New York Times'' that a terrorist did.
* MythologyGag: Homer smokes "Jerkass Homer Cigars." "Jerkass Homer" is Homer's callous, brash, rude, childish personality during the show's 9th to 12th seasons (and one of many reasons why ''TheSimpsons''' quality has fallen in the later years).
* SpecialGuest: [[Series/TheDailyShow Jon Stewart]] as himself. Also, legendary ''CBS Evening News'' anchor Dan Rather.
* SpringtimeForHitler: The Springfielders chose Ralph in a failed attempt to rid themselves of the media hype.
* TheChessmaster: Ralph Wiggum believe it or not. He intentionally tricks the Republicans and Democrats into working together to sponsor him for presidency, all the while acting like he knows nothing about whats going on.
* WhamLine: When Lisa tells Ralph that everyone advocating him as a presidential candidate is playing him for a fool, he basically responds by telling her that it's ''[[ObfuscatingStupidity the other way around]]''.
-->'''Lisa:''' They just wanna use you!\\
'''Ralph:''' (''cheerfully'') Maybe ''I'' wanna use ''them.''
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: As the reporters are clearing out of New Hampshire to go cover Springfield's primary:
-->'''Man:''' To Springfield!\\
'''Woman:''' Which Springfield?\\
'''Man:''' The one the Simpsons live in!