Ralph is chosen as the Presidential candidate for 2008 after the town tires of the media hype about the elections and the empty promises from other candidates.
* AttackOfThePoliticalAd: The episode closes with a campaign ad for Ralph.
-->'''Ralph:''' ''(sitting on the lap of the Lincoln Memorial)'' I want a tricycle, a dog who won't chew my Hot Wheels and a brighter future for America. I'm Ralph Wiggum and I've been a good boy.
* BannedInChina: The episode didn't air in Argentina and other Latin American countries (except for Colombia, Mexico, Chile, and Venezuela) because of Lenny and Carl's conversation about Juan Peron making political dissidents "disappear" and mistaking Madonna for his wife, Evita.
* CallBack: Lisa mentioned she and Ralph once dated.
* INeedToGoIronMyDog: To force a man to stop a conversation with Mr. Burns (ItMakesSenseInContext), Homer phoned the man claiming to have abducted the man's wife or, if the man doesn't have a wife, his brother. Then he said if the man obeyed all instructions his ''dog'' would be free.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Homer about his candidate of choice after hearing that candidate appeared in the same magazine a terrorist did.
* MythologyGag: Homer smokes "Jerkass Homer Cigars." "Jerkass Homer" is Homer's callous, brash, rude, childish personality during the show's 9th to 12th seasons (and one of many reasons why ''TheSimpsons''' quality has fallen in the later years).
* SpecialGuest: [[Series/TheDailyShow Jon Stewart]] as himself.
* SpringtimeForHitler: The Springfielders chose Ralph in a failed attempt to rid themselves of the media hype.
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: As the reporters are clearing out of New Hampshire to go cover Springfield's primary:
-->'''Man:''' To Springfield!\\
'''Woman:''' Which Springfield?\\
'''Man:''' The one the Simpsons live in!