Ralph is chosen as the Presidential candidate for 2008 after the town tires of the media hype about the elections and the empty promises from other candidates.
* AscendedMeme: Apparently. Homer smokes "Jerkass Homer Cigars." "Jerkass Homer" is the nickname given by some fans of the show to Homer's callous, brash, rude, childish personality during the show's 9th to 12th seasons (and one of many reasons those fans attribute to why ''The Simpsons''' quality has fallen in the later years).
* AttackOfThePoliticalAd: The episode closes with a campaign ad for Ralph.
-->'''Ralph:''' ''(sitting on the lap of the Lincoln Memorial)'' I want a tricycle, a dog who won't chew my Hot Wheels and a brighter future for America. I'm Ralph Wiggum and I've been a good boy.
* CallBack: Lisa mentioned she and Ralph once dated.
* HandWave: Lisa points out that Ralph isn't old enough to run for office, but Bart says the Patriot Act killed the Constitution.
* ImagineSpot: Subverted for laughs--Homer imagines what a "think tank" is like...and it turns out that his interpretation is perfectly accurate, much to the surprise of everyone else.
-->'''Homer:''' What, I can't get one right?
* INeedToGoIronMyDog: To force a man to stop a conversation with Mr. Burns (ItMakesSenseInContext), Homer phoned the man claiming to have abducted the man's wife or, if the man doesn't have a wife, his brother. Then he said if the man obeyed all instructions his ''dog'' would be free.
* MyGodWhatHaveIDone: Homer about his candidate of choice after hearing that candidate appeared in the same issue of ''The New York Times'' that a terrorist did.
* OrphanedSetup: Jon Stewart starts to make a zinger about there being more hot air in Springfield than somewhere, but he doesn't say the punchline because Krusty was trying to mine jokes out of him. Krusty does give a couple potential payoffs, though. "Albuquerque balloon festival? Rush Limbaugh's sweatpants?"
* SpecialGuest: [[Series/TheDailyShowWithJonStewart Jon Stewart]] as himself. Also, legendary ''CBS Evening News'' anchor Dan Rather.
* SpringtimeForHitler: The Springfielders chose Ralph in a failed attempt to rid themselves of the media hype.
* TheChessmaster: Ralph Wiggum believe it or not. He intentionally tricks the Republicans and Democrats into working together to sponsor him for presidency, all the while acting like he knows nothing about whats going on.
* WhamLine: When Lisa tells Ralph that everyone advocating him as a presidential candidate is playing him for a fool, he basically responds by telling her that it's ''[[ObfuscatingStupidity the other way around]]''.
-->'''Lisa:''' They just wanna use you!\\
'''Ralph:''' (''cheerfully'') Maybe ''I'' wanna use ''them.''
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: As the reporters are clearing out of New Hampshire to go cover Springfield's primary:
-->'''Man:''' To Springfield!\\
'''Woman:''' Which Springfield?\\
'''Man:''' The one the Simpsons live in!