Homer becomes the town's newest ice cream man after the old one dies and Homer once again is fired from his job at the nuclear plant. Meanwhile, Marge worries about not being as rich and successful as TV talk show host, Opal, so she gets into making statues out of Popsicle sticks.
* AccidentalMurder: It's implied that the lactose intolerant boy died because of Homer's cruelty.
* BaitAndSwitch: The infamous scene with the lactose intolerant boy is this. At first, we assume he has no money, and Homer was going to cheer him up with free ice cream. The boy explains he cannot eat ice cream, resulting in Homer's KickTheDog moment against him.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: Homer thinking intolerance is a bad thing while making a kid, who is lactose intolerant, eat an ice cream bar. When the kid starts to pass out and asks Homer to call the number on his medical alert bracelet, Homer makes fun of him for wearing a bracelet. Upon taking a closer look at the bracelet, Homer finally understands. In another scene, Homer is driving away from the kids and wondering what they want until he finally remembers he's selling ice cream.
* ExactWords: Krusty argued against being described as a "TV clown" because he also has a "one-man show" at Broadway. He calls it "one-man" because there's only one man in the audience, not one man on stage.
* KickTheDog: Homer coldly forces the lactose intolerant boy to eat ice cream, and when the boy becomes ill, Homer mocks him for wearing a bracelet, and presuming the boy to be gay.
* LoopholeAbuse: When Marge made a statue of Krusty the Clown, Krusty brought his lawyers to oppose displaying the statue with his name on the sign. She then changed it to "TV clown".
* WouldHurtAChild: Homer would force to make a lactose intolerant boy eat ice cream, and mock him after the boy begins to faint.