Maggie wreaking havoc over having her pacifier taken away leads Homer to sleepwalk thanks to some prescription medication, and later, Homer joins the town's fire-fighting force, where he, Apu, and Moe make a killing stealing items from burning buildings.
* BaitAndSwitch: Towards the end of the episode, a woman outside a burning building shouts, "My baby!", and follows it with, "...Could do worse than grow up to be like you, sir."
* BlandNameProduct: Nappien the prescription sleep medication is a send-up of Ambien.
* BuffySpeak: Homer lamenting his financial situation.
--> '''Homer''': Aw, I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?
* CardCarryingVillain: Moe literally has a card describing him as a villain. His face appears in a DastardlyWhiplash style. He also had a hero card in the back of his villain card.
* MoralityChain: Seeing the sad faces of his children once they learned the truth is what made Homer regret stealing from those he was supposed to help.
* MyBelovedSmother: Marge reads a magazine called "Smothering Mother".
* OutOfCharacterMoment: Averted; when Mr. Burns stiffs the firefighters who saved him, Moe grumbles, "I can't believe he acted completely in character!"
* SecretOtherFamily: An ad for a medication has a list of stress sources with "secret other family" in it.
* SideEffectsInclude: Sleepia causes foot fattening and elbow stink.
* SkewedPriorities: Kent Brockman interviews a man who's stuck inside his burning house:
--> '''Brockman''': Sir, how does it feel knowing that no one is coming to save you?\\
'''Man''': [[AssholeVictim Oh, not as bad as knowing that somewhere, gays are marrying each other. That's the real emergency, Kent.]]\\
'''Brockman''': Once again, crisis has brought out the best in us.
* TakeThat: Homer compares himself to 80% of America: "Whacked out on prescription drugs."
* TokenGoodTeammate: Principal Skinner
* UngratefulBastard: Mr. Burns. His ungratefulness towards the volunteer firefighters was what turned them into thieves.
--> '''Mr. Burns''': Ta-ta, toodle-loo. Go back to your tenements, where the O'Briens live next to the Goldbergs, who rub elbows with Antonellis, and the only thing you have in common is the squalor of your chamber pot! Oh, how I hate you! Bye-bye.