To win back Lisa's love, Homer dresses up as a mascot called "The Safety Salamander" and gains fame for rescuing people from a car accident. Meanwhile, Springfield holds a recall election to get the incompetent Mayor Quimby out of office.
* BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor: [[spoiler:Homer]] gets hit by a cinderblock after asking people to stop [[ProducePelting throwing fruits at him]].
* BeyondTheImpossible: Even ''Homer'' didn't know how he was able to pat Lisa's head with the tail of his costume.
* DidntThinkThisThrough: Calling all the emergency response teams to the site of the car pileup seemed like a good idea...[[FromBadToWorse if they hadn't forgotten that the street sign was missing]].
* DramaticThunder: Played with. When Mr. Skinner reluctantly attached a frowny sticker to Lisa's permanent record, lights flashed, as if the heavens were upset about this event...[[BaitAndSwitch but then Skinner told Willie the lights were on the fritz again]].
* FurryConfusion: For Father's Day, Lisa makes a picture book featuring herself and Homer as unicorns. In the last picture, they're riding horses.
* KarmaHoudini: Bart doesn't end up in trouble for taking the street sign and inadvertently causing the massive car accident. In fact, it's ''Mayor Quimby'' who ends up paying for it.
* LesserOfTwoEvils: Homer's slogan is "The lesser of 25 evils".
* NotHelpingYourCase: After accidentally ruining Lisa's Father's Day gift to him, Homer tries to blame it on a refrigerator magnet...which turned out to be a birthday gift to him from Lisa.
* NotWhatItLooksLike: When Homer was rescuing people from the car accident, he ended up pulling [[AmbiguouslyGay Mr. Largo]] and [[TransparentCloset Mr. Smithers]] from the same car, the former defensively crying they were only carpooling.
* ProducePelting: Rainier Wolfcastle becomes a victim of this for defending stem cell research. [[spoiler:Homer later becomes a victim when he loses his costume.]]
* StatusQuoIsGod: Mayor Quimby keeps his job because [[spoiler:no candidate gets the 5% required to become a candidate during the recall election]].
* UngratefulBastard: After being rescued from the car accident, Nelson says that his mother is still in the car. When Homer looks inside the car and doesn't find anybody there, Nelson laughs.
* WomenAndChildren: Subverted. When Homer accidentally caused a fire at a school assembly, he shove kids out of the way to get to the door first...and got stuck in it.