To win back Lisa's love, Homer dresses up as a mascot called "The Safety Salamander" and gains fame for rescuing people from a car accident. Meanwhile, Springfield holds a recall election to get the incompetent Mayor Quimby out of office.
* ArsonMurderAndJaywalking: Principal Skinner mentions that Lisa, during her misandrist rampage at school, broke a window, upended an ashcan, and hurled a Thermos brand thermos onto the street.
-->'''Homer:''' [[SkewedPriorities Does it still keep hot drinks hot and cold drinks cold?]]\\
'''Skinner:''' I'm afraid it doesn't keep any drinks anything.\\
'''Homer:''' [[BigNo NOOOO!]]
* BeCarefulWhatYouWishFor: Homer gets hit by a cinderblock after asking people to stop [[ProducePelting throwing fruits at him]].
* BeyondTheImpossible: Even ''Homer'' didn't know how he was able to pat Lisa's head with the tail of his costume.
* DidntThinkThisThrough: Calling all the emergency response teams to the site of the car pileup seemed like a good idea...[[FromBadToWorse if they hadn't forgotten that the street sign was missing]].
* DramaticThunder: Played with. When Mr. Skinner reluctantly attached a frowny sticker to Lisa's permanent record, lights flashed, as if the heavens were upset about this event...[[BaitAndSwitch but then Skinner told Willie that rats were chewing through the light fixtures again]].
* ExplainExplainOhCrap: During the town meeting when everyone blames Quimby for the traffic accident, Quimby says he ''cannot'' be removed from office...[[SayingTooMuch except by a simple recall election]]. [[DidIJustSayThatOutLoud Upon realizing what he said]], Quimby told everyone to disregard it, but it was too late.
* FurryConfusion: For Father's Day, Lisa makes a picture book featuring herself and Homer as unicorns. In the last picture, they're riding horses.
* GivenNameReveal: During the Springfield Mayoral Debate, the CrazyCatLady's real name is revealed to be Eleanor Abernathy for the first time.
* KarmaHoudini: Bart doesn't end up in trouble for taking the street sign and inadvertently causing the massive car accident. [[KarmicMisfire In fact, it's]] ''[[KarmicMisfire Mayor Quimby]]'' [[KarmicMisfire who ends up paying for it]].
* LesserOfTwoEvils: Homer's slogan is "The lesser of 25 evils".
* NotHelpingYourCase: After accidentally ruining Lisa's Father's Day gift to him, Homer tries to blame it on a refrigerator magnet...[[DiggingYourselfDeeper which turned out to be a birthday gift to him from Lisa]].
* NotWhatItLooksLike: When Homer was rescuing people from the car accident, he ended up pulling [[AmbiguouslyGay Mr. Largo]] and [[TransparentCloset Mr. Smithers]] from the same car, the former defensively crying they were only carpooling.
* PersonaNonGrata: For some reason, Homer is no longer allowed at the zoo.
* ProducePelting: Rainier Wolfcastle becomes a victim of this for defending stem cell research. Homer later becomes a victim when he loses his costume.
* StatusQuoIsGod: Mayor Quimby keeps his job because no candidate gets the 5% required to become a candidate during the recall election.
* UngratefulBastard: After being rescued from the car accident, Nelson says that his mother is still in the car. When Homer looks inside the car and doesn't find anybody there, Nelson laughs.
* VomitDiscretionShot: Homer vomits inside his suit, prompting Marge to wash it.