When Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy manage to force the schools to teach creationism, Lisa faces jail time for teaching evolution. Her only hope lands in Marge, who comes up with a solution to save her daughter.
!!This episode contains examples of ([[YMMV/TheSimpsonsS17E21TheMonkeySuit YMMV]]):
* ArtisticLicenseLaw: ''[=McLean=] vs Arkansas Board of Education'' in 1981 established that teaching creationism in schools is against the Constitution, so it should have been easy for Lisa to force the issue, though you do hear about states like Kansas trying to replace evolution with creationism and considering how everyone in Springfield is backwards and anti-intellectual (remember when they tried to burn Principal Skinner at the stake because of his claims that the Earth revolves around the sun?), the writers probably thought it would be best just to forget that piece of Supreme Court history.
* BadassBookworm: Marge.
* LatexPerfection: Nelson, twice. The first time, he looks like Milhouse poorly disguised as Lisa. The second time, he's impersonating one of Ned's sons.
* TheLopsidedArmOfTheLaw: Read below on "PoliceAreUseless". Also bear in mind that Wiggum enforces this law by ''bringing a SWATTeam to deal with an eight-year-old girl''.
* MamaBear: Marge
* NoodleIncident: Homer's summer to-do list includes [[BreadEggsMilkSquick "Find, destroy Atlantis."]]
* PaperThinDisguise: As part of a plan to help Lisa to escape, Bart brings Milhouse wearing Lisa's clothes and wearing a Lisa wig. Subverted when "Milhouse" takes off his mask, revealing himself to be Nelson.
* PreacherMan: Ned Flanders and Reverend Lovejoy
* PoliceAreUseless: Once again, Chief Wiggum while having Lisa arrested while Snake gets off shooting people since they are only able to enforce the last three laws past. He does apologize to her during the case and admits that it's the worst legal system you can get.
* NuclearOption: Homer being ape like when trying to open a beer bottle, of course.
* ShoutOut: The episode is a reference to the Scopes Trial of 1925, where John Thomas Scopes was charged for teaching evolution at a state-funded school.
* TookALevelInJerkass: Flanders want to enforce creationism after a bad trip at a museum. Even Lovejoy tells him that the bible should be taken lightly in this regard.
* TourGuideGag: The audio tour for the museum is narrated by MelanieGriffith, but all she ever says is, "This room's nice", and "This room's nice, too", never once giving a specific detail about anything people are seeing.
* AWizardDidIt: Who ever snitch on Lisa?
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: Does anyone know why Snake was shooting people or caught doing so?