Sick of being unwanted, Homer befriends a man who works as a roofer. However, no one else can see him and Homer's insistence that the roofer does exist prompts everyone to think he has gone crazy (again).
* AcquittedTooLate: Non-lethal version. Everyone found out that Homer didn't imagine Ray ''after'' his electroshock treatment was complete. Homer was righteously upset about [[AllForNothing going through all that pain and suffering for no reason]] and forced Dr Hibbert to finish the repairs to the roof as compensation.
* BaitAndSwitch: After Homer accidentally ruined Lenny's surprise birthday party, he sadly started to leave, but was stopped by Moe, who seemed to be inviting him to stay...[[JerkAss only for him to scrape the cake Homer sat on off his butt before shoving him out the door]].
* ElectricTorture: This was Homer's treatment for weeks after everyone was sure that he imagined Ray. To make it worse, Dr. Hibbert gave him jolts when he learned Homer's sense of humor wasn't affected and when he mistakenly believed RobinHood was real. [[CoolAndUnusualPunishment When Homer found out that it was all unnecessary however]].
* ISeeThemToo: After the majority of the episode where everyone thought he was made up, Ray is finally seen by those who disbelieved Homer. Of course, [[FridgeLogic it does raise the question about why he was at the psychiatric hospital where they saw him]].
* KarmaHoudini: After learning that he gave Homer weeks of electroshock for nothing, Dr. Hibbert tried to invoke this by saying that Marge already agreed not to sue him when he validated her parking. When Marge pointed out that he hadn't punched a hole in her parking slip, he immediately did so. Fortunately, Homer didn't let him get away.
* NeverMyFault: The people who blame Homer for ruining Lenny's surprise party were the ones who decided not to warn Homer about the party and placed a seat-shaped cake next to actual seats.
* NotSoImaginaryFriend: Ray Magini. The instances of [[Series/SesameStreet Snuffy]]-esque bad timing aside, there are reasons why specific people couldn't see Ray:
** The bartender had an eyepatch on the eye that saw Ray.
** Flanders couldn't see him because he was behind the chimney.
** Bart... ...well, see AssPull.
* NiceJobBreakingItHero / OhCrap: Everyone reacts appropriately after Ray shows up ''after'' Homer finished his treatment (for seeing the "imaginary" Ray).
* SignificantAnagram: Ray Magini is an anagram for "Imaginary". It's lampshaded by Lisa near the end. [[RedHerring And then Ray shows up.]]
* TakeThat: When asked why he takes so long to show up and fix the roof, Ray explains that he's a contractor. The explanation is quickly accepted and one of the Simpsons even comments on how unreliable contractors are.
* UngratefulBastard: The rest of the family didn't appreciate Homer's attempts to do deal with the leaky roof.
* [[WithFriendsLikeThese With Family Like This]]: Marge and the family bitch Homer out like crazy about the house and stuff that happens due to the rain and when he gets a roofer to fix the roof and he takes forever to get back and fix the roof, they commit Homer to months of shock therapy because they jump to the conclusion that he's gone crazy.