Homer is publicly humiliated after footage of him running from a bear is put on the news.
This is one of only two episodes to be animated by Creator/ToonzoneEntertainment (the other being season 16's "She Used to Be My Girl").
* AndroclesLion: Homer removes a radio tracking device from the bear's ear, making the bear friendlier with him.
* BearsAreBadNews: The bear that attacks Homer at the dump, but it eventually gets subverted. Played straight, though, with all the other bears in Homer's hallucinations...including the Care Bear.
--->'''Homer''': Are you a Care Bear?
--->'''Care Bear''': ''(Tapping a crowbar in his hand)'' I'm an ''intensive'' Care Bear.
--->'''Homer''': Why does a bear need a crowbar?
--->'''Care Bear''': Eh, I don't like to get my hands dirty.
* BeYourself: According to Homer, this is the CentralTheme behind ''Literature/MobyDick''.
* DramaticGunCock: Parodied.
* FaceDeathWithDignity: While briefly believing the bear would kill him, Homer decided there was no need to worry about the harms of smoking so he decided to try it until the bear took away his pipe.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: While guiding the bear to a wild life sanctuary, Homer notices some hunters and comes up with some ideas to protect the bear. He explains one of his ideas by drawing a knife and commenting that the hunters are looking for a ''male'' bear.
** Homer's line, "That's it. Suckle Daddy's sugar ball," when Bart and Lisa eat the gigantic cotton candy ball.
* InelegantBlubbering: Homer's cries disgusted the bear. Part of why the video wasn't Homer's proudest moment.
* JewishMother: Referenced.
--->'''Grant Conner''': Now listen! The bull grizzly is 7 feet tall, weighs more than a Mazda Miata, and can tear through a tree like a Jewish mother through self-esteem.
* TooDumbToLive: Homer with the device that gave the bear shocks.
* WhatTheHellTownspeople: Everyone mocked Homer for being afraid of getting killed by an enormous grizzly bear. It's not as cruel as what they did to Bart on "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace," "The Boys of Bummer," and "Bart's Girlfriend," (or even as cruel as what they did to Homer in "Homer Badman" when Ashley the university student accused him of grabbing her butt and calling her "Precious Venus") but it's pretty close and shows just how petty the townspeople can get.