Homer is publicly humiliated after footage of him running from a bear is put on the news.
* AndroclesLion: Homer removes a radio tracking device from the bear's ear, making the bear friendlier with him.
* BearsAreBadNews: The bear that attacks Homer at the dump, but it eventually gets subverted. Played straight, though, with all the other bears in Homer's hallucinations...including the Care Bear.
--->'''Homer''': Are you a Care Bear?
--->'''Care Bear''': ''(Tapping a crowbar in his hand)'' I'm an ''intensive'' Care Bear.
--->'''Homer''': Why does a bear need a crowbar?
--->'''Care Bear''': Eh, I don't like to get my hands dirty.
* BeYourself: According to Homer, this is the CentralTheme behind ''MobyDick''.
* DramaticGunCock: Parodied.
* FaceDeathWithDignity: While briefly believing the bear would kill him, Homer decided there was no need to worry about the harms of smoking so he decided to try it until the bear took away his pipe.
* JewishMother: Referenced.
* TooDumbToLive: Homer with the device that gave the bear shocks.
* WhatTheHellTownspeople: Everyone mocked Homer for the bear incident. It's not as cruel as what they did to Bart on "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace," "The Boys of Bummer," and "Bart's Girlfriend," but it's pretty close and shows just how petty the townspeople can get.