Homer is hypnotized into remembering a traumatic experience that may have something to do with the death of Smithers' father.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: Burns thought going into the core was dangerous, even by his standards although heís told why.
* FreudianExcuse: Burns' cover story for the death of Smithers' father (killed by Amazons) is implied to be the reason behind Smithers' homosexuality.
* HeroicSacrifice: [[spoiler: Smithersí Dad]]
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: Burns tries to plea with Smithers Sr. not to go into the core thatís highly dangerous, considering he doesnít often think about the wellbeing of his employees. Then, grieving Smithers Sr. after what happened. [[spoiler: Burns also feels guilty on never telling Smithers about his dad's death because he wasn't on how to break the news]].
* SeriesContinuityError: Smithers is established to be a baby around the time Homer was a teenager, but "Bye Bye Nerdie" showed Homer and Smithers in school together.
* ShoutOut: The move that Smithersí did was a reference to Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan, where Spock does the same thing.