Thanks to Homer's temporary job as a Chinese fortune cookie writer, Mr. Burns falls in love with Gloria (voiced by Creator/JuliaLouisDreyfus), a police officer who used to date town criminal, Snake Jailbird.
* AllGirlsWantBadBoys: And somehow, she chose Snake over Burns.
* ContinuityNod: Mr. Burns' past accomplishments: [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS5E10Springfield He ran his own casino]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E21MontyCantBuyMeLove Stole the Loch Ness Monster]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsWhoShotMrBurns Got shot by a baby and Blotted out the sun]].
* InMemoriam: This episode is dedicated to Music/GeorgeHarrison, who appeared as himself in [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS5E1HomersBarbershopQuartet "Homer's Barbershop Quartet"]].
* LetsSeeYOUDoBetter: Homer is challenged to do so after criticizing the fortunes his family reads at a Chinese restaurant. He succeeds.
* OffModel: Because of his ObviouslyEvil design, the animators had difficulty showing Mr. Burns looking happy, which meant that they had to completely overhaul his design throughout the episode [[https://frinkiac.com/img/S13E04/507966.jpg e.g. sometimes showing him without his eyebrows]].
* PistolWhip: Snake threatens to do this to Homer, [[LiteralMinded but Homer assumes that it's eating whipped cream]] [[JugglingLoadedGuns with a pistol]].
* ShoutOut: [[SpaghettiKiss Mr. Burns and Gloria eat spaghetti like]] LadyAndTheTramp.