The Simpsons go to Brazil to find a lost orphan after Lisa confesses that she ran up the phone bill with calls to her sponsored orphan.
* [[BannedInChina Banned in Brazil]] and BannedEpisode: The Brazilian government was mad over the show's depiction of the country and had it banned after only two airings. When FOX released season 13 of the show to Brazil, there was still contention on whether or not the episode can be shown on the Brazilian DVD version. The episode did end up being released on DVD in Brazil (compare with Japan and "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo," in which the episode was so insulting to Japanese culture that it was banned from airing on TV ''and'' being released on DVD, meaning, in Japan, the last episode on the season 10 DVD set is "They Saved Lisa's Brain"). It probably helped that the showrunners did apologize for it and meant the jokes only in jest.
* ComicallyMissingThePoint: When Homer entered an unlicensed taxi, the driver pulled a gun and told him it was an abduction. Homer then asked if that meant he wouldn't have to pay for the ride.
* ConvenientlyAnOrphan: Renaldo said he had the money to help the Simpsons because he didn't have parents to take it from him, like so many child stars in America do.
* LeftTheBackgroundMusicOn: During the cable car ride, Marge comments that the tension is killing her, so Bart switches the music player in the cable car to another theme, but Marge says that [[SoundtrackDissonance it's making light of the situation]], so they switch to another theme which satisfies Marge.
* ShownTheirWork: For all of their flaws on Brazilian culture and life, the writers ''did'' get one thing right: Portuguese is the official language of Brazil, not Spanish (in fact, Brazil is one of three South American countries in which Spanish is not the main language. The others are Suriname[[note]]whose official language is Dutch[[/note]] and French Guiana[[note]]whose official language is French, obviously[[/note]]).
* StockholmSyndrome: Homer bonds with his kidnappers, even compiling a scrapbook with them.
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: The orphan Lisa sponsored couldn't send her a letter because he didn't know which state Springfield was located.