After Homer's jerk ways at the supermarket causes a bag boy strike, the Simpsons are left without food -- until they find a 1960s-era box of animal crackers advertising a contest where the winners get to go to Africa.
!!Tropes appearing in the episode:
* ArtisticLicenseBiology: Rhinos lay eggs, hippos are afraid of water, giant spiders exist and giraffes live underground. [[LampshadeHanging Lisa is neither impressed nor amused.]]
* BadPeopleAbuseAnimals: Joan Bushwell turns out to be guilty of this when it's revealed she's been using the chimps she's supposedly been researching to run a diamond mine within her refuge to make herself rich.
* BaitAndSwitch: Just as it looks Joan's madness for collecting diamonds would convince the Simpsons to put her in jail, the family (except Lisa) accept the proposal and happily leave Africa behind.
* BlatantLies: Joan Bushwell tells Lisa her diamond-covered pen and clipboard were a graduation present, after it's revealed she's been using the chimps to run a diamond mine.
* BrokenPedestal: Lisa says that Joan Bushwell's research has really inspired her when they first meet. At the end of the episode, Lisa is disgraced by the revelation that she's actually using the chimps to run a diamond mine, and is [[ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules the only one to leave Africa without any diamonds]].
* EatTheCamera: Homer, at the end of the second act.
* EverybodyLaughsEnding: Homer points out that their old tour guide, Kitenge, became the new president of Tanzania. Marge wonders what became of President Muntu. He immediately appears as a flight attendant, clearly humiliated, and the Simpsons all laugh when they realise that he was overthrown.
* EverythingsBetterWithMonkeys: Or chimpanzees in this case.
* EveryCarIsAPinto: Marge and Lisa shoot bees at a jeep to deflate the tyres with the stingers. Somehow, this also causes the jeep to burst into flames.
* EvilPoacher: Subverted. The poachers turned out to be Greenpeace members.
* LanguageBarrier: When the Simpsons are lost in the jungle, sailing down a river, they encounter two ominous sounding tribesmen, so Homer tries to hit them with a spear. However, they were actually saying very nice things, at least according to the subtitles.
* ManEatingPlant: Subverted for laughs, as noted under RealityEnsues.
* NarratingTheObvious: Lisa, as per usual, does this when she sees... "The chimps are running a diamond mine!"
* NeverSmileAtACrocodile: "Don't worry. Getting eaten by a crocodile is like going to sleep... in a giant blender."
* NobodyPoops: Averted by Homer pointing out that Bushwell's cabin smells of faeces, and not just monkey faeces, causing her to change the subject.
** Lisa gets one when she sees the boat the family is on is heading for Victoria Falls. Then everyone has one when they go over the edge.
** Marge then has one when the flower they landed in is closing up and she thinks it's eating them. [[RealityEnsues Homer simply rips it open to let them out]].
** Joan Bushwell when the Greenpeace member asks her about the diamond mine she's running.
* RealityEnsues: While lost in the jungle, the family falls into a large flower that closes its petals around them which causes Marge to exclaim that it's trying to eat them. Homer casually tears one of the petals open and walks out.
--> '''Bart:''' Wow, Dad, how did you do that?
--> '''Homer:''' (deadpan) It's a ''flower''.
* RedHerring: The episode starts with a bag boy's strike. It is referenced by Homer twice during the trip just to really drive home its Herring status.
* SanitySlippage: "No! Don't put me away. I'll give you diamonds. Everybody wants diamonds. Diamonds will make everything all better. Diamonds! Diamonds!!!" Everyone but Lisa accepts her crazy proposal.
* ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules: Lisa wouldn't take any diamonds Joan Bushwell tried to bribe the Simpsons with.
* ScrewTheRulesIHaveMoney: Or diamonds in that case as Homer, Marge, Bart and even Maggie can confirm.
* ScrewThisImOuttaHere: As the African tribal chief N'Gungo senses the Simpsons are coming.
-->'''Tribesman:''' What is it, N'gungo?
-->'''N'Gungo:''' Evil is coming...
-->'''Tribesman:''' What shall we do, N'Gungo?
-->'''N'Gungo:''' (''takes mask off and puts it on the Tribesman'') [[YouAreInCommandNow You are N'Gungo now!]] (''runs away screaming'')
* TheDogBitesBack: After enduring the repeated abuse of the shoppers, the bag boys go on strike, which for some reason deprives all of Springfield of food.
* TooIncompetentToOperateABlanket: The Springfield populace are somehow unable to pack their own shopping bags.
* VacationEpisode: The Simpsons travel to Africa.
* VictoriasSecretCompartment: Joan Bushwell produces her diamond-covered pen and clipboard from inside her shirt.
* WhaleEgg: The rhino has just hatched out of the egg!
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: The bag boy crisis is never resolved. Subverted with Kitenge and President Muntu. At the end, a billboard proclaims that Kitenge has become Tanzania's new president, and that Muntu got overthrown and became the Simpsons' flight attendant.