Homer becomes a food critic for the local newspaper, but he gets too caustic for the local restaurant owners' liking.
* BigFun: Invoked briefly. Homer's fantastic reviews lead to a lot of citizens gaining weight, to which a now heavyset Mr. Burns claims he's "never felt jollier" until his shins break from the extra weight. He's later seen among the mob that delivers Homer's comeuppance at the end.
* BrainBleach: When the Sea Captain and Akira discuss Homer's pants being unfastened:
-->'''Sea Captain:''' I'm surprised he doesn't just give it up and go for sweatpants.\\
'''Akira:''' He says the crotch wears out too fast.\\
'''Sea Captain:''' Yar! That's going to replace the whale in my nightmares.
* CausticCritic: Homer becomes one about halfway through, causing local restaurants to lose so much business that their owners conspire to have him killed.
** Specifically, Homer becomes more critical after being confronted by several other critics, all of whom are like this -- including one who reviews ''farm supplies''.
* CensoredForComedy: Homer's cursing while driving behind an ambulance. Parodied, as the words that got bleeped out weren't the kind of curse words that warrant a bleeping on TV.
* ConstrainedWriting: When Homer becomes a food critic, he writes a review without using the letter E. That's because the E key on his typewriter is broken. "By Homer-no-Earl-no-''Bill'' Simpson!"
* ExtremeOmnivore: Before becoming a CausticCritic, the only bad review Homer gave was to a slice of pizza he found under the couch, and only then he claims it lost points simply because he found a Hot Wheels toy on it.
* FourPointScale: In-universe; initially Homer gives ''everything'' a good review, simply because he loves food so much. Even when he becomes a CausticCritic, his rating of Marge's pork chops is the lowest he ever gave: seven thumbs up.
* KarmaHoudini: Discussed, lampshaded, and ultimately averted when Homer tempts fate at the end saying he'll never receive his comeuppance, only for LaserGuidedKarma to happen during the credits as Homer is beaten up by an angry mob of everyone he pissed off in this episode.
* TheNoseKnows: Homer can tell that a cake says "so long and best wishes" from it's smell.
-->'''Nelson''': Your old man has an awesome nose.
-->'''Bart''': That's nothing, he can ''hear'' pudding.
* ShowerOfAngst: Homer after he was rejected the first time ("Still not clean...").
* SureLetsGoWithThat: Homer's first review was written with a typewriter that didn't have a working "E". When the editor dismissed it as a joke, Homer decided it was indeed a joke.
* TemporaryBulkChange: Homer's rave reviews of just about everything cause a small surge of weight gain in the Springfield community.