Homer becomes a food critic for the local newspaper following the retirement of the old one, and, after showering every meal with praise, decides to become a CausticCritic, which causes the local restauranteurs to plot his murder.
* BigFun: Invoked briefly. Homer's fantastic reviews lead to a lot of citizens gaining weight, to which a now heavyset Mr. Burns claims he's "never felt jollier" until his shins break from the extra weight. He's later seen among the mob that delivers Homer's comeuppance at the end.
* BrainBleach: When the Sea Captain and Akira discuss Homer's pants being unfastened:
-->'''Sea Captain:''' I'm surprised he doesn't give it up and go for sweatpants.\\
'''Akira:''' He says the crotch wears out too fast.\\
'''Sea Captain:''' Yar! That's going to replace [[MobyDick the whale in my nightmares]].
* CausticCritic: Homer becomes one about halfway through, causing local restaurants to lose so much business that their owners conspire to have him killed.
* CensoredForComedy: Homer's cursing while driving behind an ambulance. The words that got bleeped out weren't the kind of curse words that warrant a bleeping on TV.
* ConstrainedWriting: When Homer becomes a food critic, he writes a review without using the letter E. That's because the E key on his typewriter is broken. "By Homer-no-Earl-no-''Bill'' Simpson!"
** [[FridgeLogic And yet somehow he manages to write "screw Flanders" repeatedly]] (unless he spelled it out as "Scru Flandurs" or "Scroo Flandoors")
* ConvenientlyTimedDistraction: After the French chef is arrested for trying to kill Homer and he's handcuffed, Chief Wiggum suggests to Eddie and Lou that they go get some Belgium waffles but Lou would rather have frittatas. While Wiggum and Eddie laughs at Lou for his frittata obsession, the French chef uncuffs himself and escapes [[PoliceAreUseless with none of them noticing that he's gone despite the fact that he was standing between Eddie and Lou.]]
* ExtremeOmnivore: Before becoming a CausticCritic, the only bad review Homer gave was to a slice of pizza he found under the couch, and only then he claims it lost points simply because he found a Hot Wheels toy on it.
* FateWorseThanDeath: Homer shrugs when told the eclair would kill him and still plans to eat it, but throughs it away in horror when told it's low fat.
* FourPointScale: In-universe; initially Homer gives ''everything'' a good review, simply because he loves food so much. Even when he becomes a CausticCritic, his rating of Marge's pork chops is the lowest he ever gave: seven thumbs up.
* KarmaHoudini: Discussed, lampshaded, and ultimately averted when Homer tempts fate at the end saying he'll never receive his comeuppance, only for LaserGuidedKarma to happen during the credits as Homer is beaten up by an angry mob of everyone he pissed off in this episode.
* MajorInjuryUnderreaction: When Homer pans Luigi's food to his face, one of the chefs storms out with a knife, slashing Homer. Homer quips "I hope you cut me better than your green beans", but casually concedes when he realizes the chef did cut off part of his ear.
* TheNoseKnows: Homer can tell that a cake says "so long and best wishes" from it's smell.
-->'''Nelson''': Your old man has an awesome nose.
-->'''Bart''': That's nothing, he can ''hear'' pudding.
* ShowerOfAngst: Homer after he was rejected the first time ("Still not clean...").
* SureLetsGoWithThat: Homer's first review was written with a typewriter that didn't have a working "E". When the editor dismissed it as a joke, Homer decided it was indeed a joke.
* TemporaryBulkChange: Homer's rave reviews of just about everything cause a small surge of weight gain in the Springfield community.