While enjoying a day at the NASCAR races, Homer's shirtless antics inadvertently cause the death of Ned Flanders' wife, Maude, and Flanders begins losing faith when Homer bungles his way to helping his depressed neighbor.
* CreditsGag: During the credits that run underneath the first sequence of the episode, the writer credit is larger than ususal, timed to appear after Lisa comes across a tree with initials carved on it and wonders, "Why do jerks think everyone wants to see their stupid name?"
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: [[http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_U8QxpkDnPrQ/TS9tQdEV1aI/AAAAAAAAAQs/XZZz-goN11A/s1600/tumblr_l8mzfo8IkI1qdoghio1_500.png Ned's endowment]] (which could be interpreted as either Homer using video special effects to entice women who watch his dating video or Ned actually having a large penis).
* GilliganCut: Ned tells his sons he won't attend church, saying "I'm going to sit right here and miss church. You just watch." Cut to Ned hurriedly driving, saying "Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry!"
* PartingWordsRegret: Flanders regrets telling his wife "No foot longs" instead of "I love you" or something more meaningful.
* TonightSomeoneDies: The promos for "Alone Again, Natura-Diddily" literally asked: "Who will ''die''?", and proceeding to list off a bunch of potential victims. Unfortunately, word got out before the episode aired that Maude would be the unfortunate one, so these promos didn't generate the expected suspense.
* TwentyOneGunSalute: In honor of the way Maude died, there's a twenty-one T-shirt-gun salute at her funeral.