After a riot breaks out at a local gross-out contest, Lisa writes an open letter to the town about the people's lack of intellectualism, which captures the attention of the local MENSA chapter, who end up running the town after Mayor Quimby disappears. Meanwhile, Homer "wins"[[note]]he stole the runner-up prize during the gross-out contest riot[[/note]] a chance to pose for erotic pictures as a gift to Marge.
* AdamWesting: StephenHawking plays himself as an egotistical, handicapped, badass genius with a souped-up wheelchair.
-->'''Skinner''': Might I have a peek at ''your'' Gazebo reservation form?\\
'''Lenny''': Beat it.\\
'''Skinner''': ''(chuckles)'' Yes, well, we each have a strong case.\\
'''Carl''': What part of "beat it" didn't you understand?\\
'''Skinner''': I guess it would be the "it", I'm not exactly sure to what that refers... ''(a beer can hits his head)''
* ArtisticLicense: The "real" Stephen Hawking couldn't "talk" as fast as he does here if his life depended on it; it takes him about five minutes or so to input a complete sentence into his synthesizer.
* BaitAndSwitch: Barney at the gross-out contest. He goes onstage, drinks a whole six-pack of Duff, and burps. The audience cheers and he gets scored pretty high for it, but that wasn't what he wanted to do. He was apparently going to juggle chickens, before getting shooed offstage. Ironically, he probably got a better score than if he ''had'' juggled chickens.
* GadgeteerGenius: Hawking is portrayed as one here, his wheelchair equipped with such things as a motorized boxing glove and collapsible - and functional - helicopter blades.
* GettingCrapPastTheRadar: During the "how low will you go" contest from the episode's beginning, Burns and Smithers are seen doing a two-piece horse costume. Three guesses who's the rear.
* HandicappedBadass: Stephen Hawking.
-->'''Hawking:''' If you're looking for trouble, you've found it.
* AHouseDivided: Springfield's MENSA members eventually begin butting heads over what the perfect Springfield should be like.
* HypocriticalHumor: After the talent show:
-->'''Homer''': Look, I got runner-up prize!\\
'''Lisa''': You won second place?\\
'''Homer''': No, but I got it! ''(walks out, but pokes his head back in)'' Stealing is wrong.
* InsufferableGenius: The Springfield members of MENSA.
-->'''Dr. Hibbert:''' When are we gonna get to my broccoli juice program?
-->'''Comic Book Guy:''' Quit butting in, please. Your IQ is a mere 155 while mine is a muscular 170. (''singing to the theme of ''[[Series/StarTrekTheOriginalSeries Star Trek: TOS]]'') I am smart, much smarter than you, Hibbert!
* TheMetricSystemIsHereToStay: When MENSA starts changing the town, one of the things they do is have the trains run on metric time.
--> '''Skinner''': Remember this moment, people: Eighty past two, on April 47th, it's the dawn of an enlightened Springfield!
* NerdsAreVirgins: During Springfield Mensa's proposals.
-->'''Comic Book Guy:''' Inspired by the most logical race in the galaxy, [[Franchise/StarTrek the Vulcans]], breeding will be permitted once every seven years. For many of you, this will mean much less breeding. For me, much, much, more!
-->'''Groundskeeper Willie:''' Ye cannae do that, sir! Ye don't have the power!
* NoodleIncident: Homer's line about playing a "non-traditional" Santa, which got him in trouble with the neighborhood block association for public indecency.
* NotDistractedByTheSexy: When Homer gives Marge his erotic pictures, she's more turned on by the fancy decor in the backgrounds than Homer's body.
-->'''Marge''': ''(impressed)'' That's ''our'' basement? (...) It looks so elegant. And all it takes are some lace curtains and a beaded lampshade. You've got to show me exactly what you did!\\
'''Homer''': But I was gonna score!\\
'''Marge''': No you weren't.
* OneDialogueTwoConversations: When MENSA meets with Mayor Quimby to reform gazebo reservation laws.
-->'''Skinner:''' The jig is up, Quimby.
-->'''Quimby:''' Oh, God!
-->'''Hibbert:''' (''holding a book'') When you see what's in this report, things are going to change in this town...
-->'''Quimby:''' [[NoodleIncident I earned that lotto money, I swear]]!
-->(''frantically presses a button, summoning the bodyguards to put folders through a shredder [[UpToEleven and put that shredder through another shredder]], [[ScrewThisImOuttaHere while he exits the room]].)
* PowderKegCrowd: During the gross-out competition, a stray urinal cake hits Krusty, to which he angrily replies, "A URINAL CAKE?! You, sir, have crossed the line!" A riot soon breaks out afterwards.
* RecognitionFailure: Homer initially mistakes Hawking for ''Hustler'' founder Larry Flynt, who, like Hawking, is also wheelchair-bound (only Larry Flynt was paralyzed from an assassination attempt).
* ShoutOut: During the proposals, Comic Book Guy wears a ''Series/StarTrekTheNextGeneration''-era Starfleet uniform.
* SpecialGuest: StephenHawking, whose appearance on this show (and later ''Futurama'') has made him more famous than his studies. How ironic, considering the episode makes fun of intellectualism vs. anti-intellectualism and how people seem to love lowbrow entertainment more than highbrow entertainment.
* SurroundedByIdiots: Dr. Hibbert's reaction to [[PoliceAreUseless Chief Wiggum's refusal to help them]].
-->'''Hibbert:''' Why do we live in a town where the smartest have no power and the stupidest run everything?
* TakeThat: Professor Frink's refers to the phenomenon of an intellectual joke being funny to one person out of a million as "The DennisMiller Ratio."
* WhereTheHellIsSpringfield: It isn't in Alabama, since Dr. Hibbert explicitly says "Maybe I should just move back to Alabama."
* WithUsOrAgainstUs: In the climax, it's the smart people (MENSA and StephenHawking) vs. the dumb people, who make up the majority of Springfield. During the riot, Carl says, "Let's make litter out of these literati!" Lenny suspiciously remarks, "That's too clever, you're one of ''them''!" and punches him.