After a riot breaks out at a local gross-out contest, Lisa writes an open letter to the town about the people's lack of intellectualism, which captures the attention of the local MENSA chapter, who end up running the town after Mayor Quimby disappears. Meanwhile, Homer "wins"[[note]]he stole the runner-up prize during the gross-out contest riot[[/note]] a chance to pose for erotic pictures as a gift to Marge.
* AdamWesting: StephenHawking plays himself as an egotistical, handicapped, badass genius with a souped-up wheelchair.
--> '''Skinner''': Might I have a peek at ''your'' Gazebo reservation form?\\
'''Lenny''': Beat it.\\
'''Skinner''': ''(chuckles)'' Yes, well, we each have a strong case.\\
'''Carl''': What part of "beat it" didn't you understand?\\
'''Skinner''': I guess it would be the "it", I'm not exactly sure to what that refers... ''(a beer can hits his head)''
* GadgeteerGenius: Hawking is portrayed as one here, his wheelchair equipped with such things as a motorized boxing glove and collapsible - and functional - helicopter blades.
* HandicappedBadass: Stephen Hawking.
-->"If you're looking for trouble, you've found it."
* HypocriticalHumor: After the talent show:
--> '''Homer''': Look, I got runner-up prize!\\
'''Lisa''': You won second place?\\
'''Homer''': No, but I got it! ''(walks out, but pokes his head back in)'' Stealing is wrong.
* TheMetricSystemIsHereToStay: When MENSA starts changing the town, one of the things they do is have the trains run on metric time.
--> '''Skinner''': Remember this moment, people: Eighty past two, on April 47th, it's the dawn of an enlightened Springfield!
* NerdsAreVirgins: During Springfield Mensa's proposals.
-->'''Comic Book Guy:''' Inspired by the most logical race in the galaxy, [[Franchise/StarTrek the Vulcans]], breeding will be permitted once every seven years. For many of you, this will mean much less breeding. For me, much, much, more!
-->'''Groundskeeper Willie:''' Ye cannae do that, sir! Ye don't have the power!
* NoodleIncident: Homer's line about playing a "non-traditional" Santa, which got him in trouble with the neighborhood block association for public indecency.
* NotDistractedByTheSexy: When Homer gives Marge his erotic pictures, she's more turned on by the fancy decor in the backgrounds than Homer's body.
--> '''Marge''': ''(impressed)'' That's ''our'' basement? (...) It looks so elegant. And all it takes are some lace curtains and a beaded lampshade. You've got to show me exactly what you did!\\
'''Homer''': But I was gonna score!\\
'''Marge''': No you weren't.
* PowderKegCrowd: During the gross-out competition, a stray urinal cake hits Krusty, to which he angrily replies, "A URINAL CAKE?! You, sir, have crossed the line!" A riot soon breaks out afterwards.
* RealityIsUnrealistic: The "real" Stephen Hawking couldn't "talk" as fast as he does here if his life depended on it; it takes him about five minutes or so to input a complete sentence into his synthesizer. The way he "spoke" in this episode was clearly ArtisticLicense.
* RecognitionFailure: Homer initially mistakes Hawking for ''Hustler'' founder Larry Flynt, who, like Hawking, is also wheelchair-bound (only Larry Flynt was paralyzed from an assassination attempt).
* ShoutOut: During the proposals, Comic Book Guy wears a ''Series/StarTrekTheNextGeneration''-era Starfleet uniform.
* SpecialGuest: StephenHawking, whose appearance on this show (and later ''Futurama'') has made him more famous than his studies. How ironic, considering the episode makes fun of intellectualism vs. anti-intellectualism and how people seem to love lowbrow entertainment more than highbrow entertainment.
* TakeThat: Professor Frink's refers to the phenomenon of an intellectual joke being funny to one person out of a million as "The DennisMiller Ratio."
* WithUsOrAgainstUs: In the climax, it's the smart people (MENSA and StephenHawking) vs. the dumb people, who make up the majority of Springfield. During the riot, Carl says, "Let's make litter out of these literati!" Lenny suspiciously remarks, "That's too clever, you're one of ''them''!" and punches him.