'''Mom and Pop Art''' is the 19th episode of the 10th season of ''WesternAnimation/TheSimpsons''.
Homer's failed attempt at building an outdoor barbecue leads him into the world of outsider art.
* ArtImitatesArt: When Homer visits a museum various shout-outs to famous paintings are made. We see Creator/PabloPicasso's "Les Demoiselles d' Avignon" and "Harlequin" hanging in a gallery, for instance, and a giant pencil statue by Claes Oldenburg is also brought in. When Homer falls asleep several more paintings are spoofed.
* ArtisticLicenseHistory: There is no real basis for depicting pop art icon Jasper Johns as a kleptomaniac, other than the writers presumably didn't know what else to do with their special guest voice of the week.
* ArtisticLicensePhysics: Flooding an entire city would not be without serious danger of drowning accidents and water pollution in real life.
* ArtShift: During Homer's nightmare sequence various paintings in different styles appear on the screen.
* BookDumb: When Homer tried to read the assembly instructions in French, he got stumped at "Le Grille".
* CallBack: When Homer is at the art gallery we can see Barney's Japanese girlfriend from the episode [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS5E1HomersBarbershopQuartet "Homer's Barbershop Quartet"]]
* ConceptArt: This episode pokes a lot of fun at conceptual art and the elite who look for a deeper meaning into mundane things.
* TheGreatFlood: Homer floods the entire town as part of a conceptual art work.
* GreenEyedMonster[=/=]TheResenter: Marge is nothing but bitter and unsupportive of Homer when he tries to be an outsider artist because she's unhappy that Homer made more progress in a week then she ever has been until he fails.
* ItsTheSameNowItSucks: Happens InUniverse, as Homer's second art piece is panned by critics for being too much like his failed barbeque.
* LeaningOnTheFourthWall: After Homer badmouthes Creator/MattGroening, a huge pencil with eraser seems to erase Homer, but it's just two guys carrying a really huge pencil.
* MundaneMadeAwesome: Homer's art is just junk, but the art critics love it because it's art to them. However, when Homer makes a similar sculpture from trash they suddenly feel he is repeating himself.
* NightmareSequence: Homer falls asleep in a museum and has a dream where various paintings attack him.
* OneHitWonder: Homer's art is this InUniverse, something Marge is aware of.
* PunBasedTitle: The title is a pun on pop art.
** Works by Creator/PabloPicasso, Claes Oldenburg, Creator/LeonardoDaVinci, Henri Matisse, Henri Rousseau, Creator/SalvadorDali and Creator/AndyWarhol are referenced.
** While Marge paints the flooded town this is a clear reference to Canaletto's paintings of Venice.
** Homer scribbles something a piece of paper when Moe tells him he can pay with a priceless sketch. Barney asks if he can do the same but is rejected, causing him to throw away his work. The camera then shows it's Georges Seurat's "Sunday Afternoon on La Grande Jatte".
* SpecialGuest: Pop art painter Jasper Johns.
* TerribleArtist: Homer sure qualifies, seeing that he doesn't understand art at all, but still tries to make something of artistic value.
* TrueArtIsIncomprehensible: Invoked in Homer's art style. The critics think his first work is art, but it was actually just some junk that Homer had thrown together.