"When Extremes Meet" is the eighth episode of ''WesternAnimation/TheLegendOfKorra'', which aired on June 2, 2012.
Mako, Bolin, and Asami move into Air Temple Island after losing their homes in the previous episodes. Since Chief Lin Beifong has resigned, Saikhan takes her place and says he will bring any issues to Tarrlok. Korra and Tenzin find this suspicious, but Tarrlok says he only has Republic City's interests in mind.
Later, Korra and Tenzin talk to Tarrlok, who wishes for Korra to rejoin his task force. Korra refuses, telling him that she's the Avatar. Tarrlok challenges her statement and reminds Korra that she cannot airbend. As Korra and Tenzin leave city hall, Tenzin reminds her that Avatar Aang had past Avatars to talk to and advises her to meditate on her visions.
In the evening, Asami, Bolin, Mako, and Pabu meet up with Korra, forming the "new Team Avatar". Using one of Hiroshi's vehicles, the team apprehend a group of Equalists.
The next day, Tarrlok persuades the Council, save Tenzin, to pass a law that allows the arrest of anyone "associated" with the Equalists, and imposes a curfew on all non-benders. Team Avatar discovers a crowd of non-benders protesting against Tarrlok for taking out the electricity in their homes. Korra tries to reason with Tarrlok and is ignored because he supposedly believes all of the non-benders are Equalists at a rally. He orders the arrest of Asami for being an Equalist's daughter, and Mako and Bolin for arguing against him.
Korra goes to Tenzin to bail her friends out, but Chief Saikhan cites due process of law, ensuring they and the innocent non-benders won't be freed any time soon.
That night, Korra returns to City Hall to confront Tarrlok. Each compares the other to Amon, and at hearing Korra's retort, Tarrlok attacks her, and a fight ensues. Korra gains the upper hand by destroying the fountain behind Tarrlok and forcing him out of the room. Having run out of water, Tarrlok resorts to bloodbending, able to stop Korra from firebending at him despite the absence of a full moon. He sends Korra flying into a wall and approaches her. Korra has another vision of Avatar Aang, Toph, and Sokka at the trial of the unknown man. Sokka has a pained expression, and Toph is seen trying to attack the smirking individual with metalbending cables but is unable to. Aang struggles to reach the man, and behind him the entire room is also under a strange power.
Korra regains consciousness and discovers she's been tied up. Tarrlok tells her that he is taking her somewhere far away and will never see Republic City again.
!!Tropes in this episode:
* AdultFear: The ending would be horrifying to any parent, especially those of a teenage girl.
** "Asami, did you know Korra likes Mako?" spoken by Ikki to Asami (Mako's girlfriend). Though it affects Korra more than it does Asami.
** PlayedForDrama when Tarrlok asks how Korra's airbending training is going when she reminds him she is the Avatar.
* ArrestedForHeroism: Not played lightly. Asami, Mako, and Bolin get arrested for their acts and Tenzin cannot bail them out because of the new police regime.
* ArtShift: Happens in the background with Korra's reaction to Ikki bring up the subject of Korra's crushing on Mako. It includes a realistic sky background, lightning strikes, and fire.
* AuthorityEqualsAsskicking: One has to admit despite being a sleazy politician, Tarrlok's a really good fighter and an extremely skilled waterbender.
** Probably half the reason he has a fountain in his office is to defend [[ProperlyParanoid himself against attacks.]]
* BadassBoast: Subverted. Korra says she is the Avatar and Tarrlok needs her in the BadassBoast fashion, but he quickly comments on her difficulty airbending. Korra later asks him during their fight after she gains the upper hand if she's still a half-baked Avatar. Cue Tarrlok using his bloodbending.
* BerserkButton: Korra presses Tarrlok's when she compares him to Amon for his actions taken concerning maintaining peace, while Tarrlok presses Korra's by arresting her friends as a bargaining chip then attacking her when it fails.
* BlackMagic: [[BloodMagic Bloodbending]], which is seen as this by most waterbenders, makes a return.
* BoundAndGagged: Korra after Tarrlok defeats her. Though he nearly got his eyebrows singed for forgetting the "gag" bit when Korra spits some fire at him in her thrashing.
* CloseCallHaircut: Tarrlok's first attack causes this for Korra.
** The wall fountain in Tarrlok's office incorporates a design of two koi in a yin-yang configuration, referencing the original incarnations of the ocean and moon spirits from the first series.
** Tarrlok's bloodbending ability.
* CoolCar: Asami drives yet ''another'' one of these this episode.
* CryCute: Korra has this in angst to the airbending block before her.
* DownerEnding: Even worse than last episode. Asami, Bolin, Mako, and many other innocent people are in prison, and not even Tenzin can bail them out, and Korra's been sent somewhere, with Tarrlok saying she'll never see Republic City again.
* DoesThisRemindYouOfAnything: Tarrlok and the police rounding up all non-benders who don't go in for curfew...and anyone trying to defend them. ''And'' the non-benders only came out because Tarrlok had their power shut off for some reason.
** Anyone suspected of helping the Equalist terrorists, or of even being the same "type" as them (ie. non-benders) are arrested and held indefinitely with no hope of release. [[WarOnTerror Do]] [[ANaziByAnyOtherName we]] [[Film/HotelRwanda really]] [[FantasticRacism need]] [[RedScare to]] [[SchindlersList spell]] [[ComicBook/VForVendetta this]] [[POWCamp one]] [[UsefulNotes/AdolfHitler out?]]
** While FromACertainPointOfView the metal-benders and Tarrlok do have the ability to arrest Asami for being out after curfew, Mako and Bolin are arrested after Mako says "You can't do that" to Tarrlok having her arrested.
* FascistsBedTime: Tarrlok imposes a curfew on all non-benders. [[KickTheDog And then goads a neighborhood full of nonbenders into breaking it by cutting off their electrical power.]]
* FlashbackCut: Korra discusses her visions with Tenzin at the beginning, though he says he's not sure what they mean just yet. She then has another one of these but it's more intense than the previous ones and reveals that Tarrlok may have something to do with Yakone.
* FromTheMouthsOfBabes: Ikki pulls this on Korra. She reveals Korra's crush on Mako to Asami, who was unaware of the crush beforehand. Ikki also likes to comment on stuff that isn't appropriate.
* GivingSomeoneThePointerFinger: As seen in the page image.
* GroundShatteringLanding[=/=]ThreePointLanding: Korra gouges out a landing crater in the council chamber as a show of force to Tarrlok.
* HairFlip: Asami does this a second time.
* IAmNotLeftHanded: Tarrlok reveals to Korra that he is a bloodbender.
* IdenticalStranger: When the metalbenders are arresting the non-benders, there's a [[http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m503vmgAOT1r022o7.png woman who looks almost exactly like Tahno]].
* JerkassHasAPoint: Tarrlok, yet ''again''. He mocks Korra for not doing much in her airbending training, which is entirely true. That is, until he locks Korra in the metal box, with the intention of kick her out of the Republic City.
* KickTheDog: Most everything Tarrlok does in this episode. In order--tries to get Korra back on his task-force, imposes a curfew on all non-benders, shuts off many non-benders' homes' power at night and arrests them when they gather to protest, arrests Asami, then Mako and Bolin when Korra tries to help the non-benders, attacks Korra when she tells him he's no better than Amon, uses bloodbending to subdue her when she wins, and finally locks her in a car headed far away, saying she'll never see the city again. That's a ''lot'' for an implied 48 hours.
* LuckilyMyShieldWillProtectMe: Tarrlok briefly gains the upper hand against Korra when he shields himself with a water bubble being fed from the wall fountain. Korra can't breach it and he can fire icicles from it without affecting its integrity. Korra responds by earthbending the entire stone wall at him.
* HopeSpot: It seems that by the end of the episode, Korra has defeated Tarrlok. Then he reveals his Bloodbending ability...
* IHaveYourWife: Tarrlok uses the fact he has Korra's friends in custody to blackmail Korra into serving him, but it backfires.
* MightMakesRight: Korra accuses Tarrlok of doing this and proving Amon right in the process. Tarrlok instead says that she also does the [[NotSoDifferent exact same thing with her bending abilities]].
* MookHorrorShow: The back half of Korra's fight with Tarrlok plays out like this. He's got no water to bend while an angry Korra tears her way through the wall and blows up the floor, her voice practically dripping with malice as she closes in.
* MoodWhiplash: The first half of the episode is relatively light-hearted with plenty of laughs and heartwarming moments. Then Republic City becomes a police state similar to the Nazi era and the Red Scare. All of Korra's friends are arrested and Tarrlok reveals he can bloodbend, without a full moon, providing probably the biggest DownerEnding in the series so far.
* MurderIsTheBestSolution: There were ''heavy'' implications Korra was going to murder Tarrlok, a ''far cry'' from what [[TechnicalPacifist Aang]] would do.
* ANaziByAnyOtherName: [[FascistsBedTime Unreasonable curfews imposed?]] [[FantasticRacism One group of people singled out for draconian laws?]] Take over of the police department and converting them into personal enforcers? Yeah, Tarrlok's going this route.
* NoHoldsBarredBeatdown: Korra engages in a bending fight with Tarrlok, kicking his ass immensely, until Tarrlok reveals he can bloodbend.
* NotSoDifferent: Tarrlok says this to Korra on going to extremes to assure the peace. Korra promptly turns it back on him, saying that his recent actions especially rounding up non-benders who have done nothing wrong]] make him no better than Amon, [[BerserkButton making his eye twitch with fury]].
* OhCrap: Saikhan gets one when Tenzin finds him in the lobby.
** Korra also gets one when Tarrlok reveals that he's a bloodbender.
* PeoplePuppets: Tarrlok is able to bloodbend, which might be surprising but is [[ManipulativeBastard exceedingly appropriate]].
* PersonalityPowers: Tarrlok. He's a [[SmugSnake smug snake,]] [[ManipulativeBastard manipulative bastard,]] as well as both a [[SleazyPolitician sleazy]] and [[CorruptPolitician corrupt politician]] who can bloodbend.
* PrecociousCrush: Meelo's crush on Asami.
* PuppetKing: The new Police Chief Saikhan is serving Tarrlok.
* ShockAndAwe: Mako uses lightning very efficiently to take down some Equalists' motorcycles and a van, without killing any of them. Asami also gets to shock a couple of chi-blockers who jump onto her car.
* SlipknotPonytail: Happens to Tarrlok while fighting Korra.
* StandardFemaleGrabArea: [[MakingASplash Tarrlok]] grabs [[ActionGirl Asami]] by the arm with a water whip after Korra tries to stop the police from arresting the non-benders. Probably justified; Korra would retaliate against the police, but Asami likely wouldn't be so eager.
** Completely justified. The only weapon Asami had was her electro glove, which is probably the last thing you'd want to use on a Waterbender. And though her self defense training may very well have included chi-blocking, we only see her beating up Equalists (read: other non-benders), and that with some of their own technology; for all we know she'd get curbstomped going up against benders herself. Also while Asami isn't subdued simply by being touched with the water whip she's smart enough to know resisting will not help anyone in this situation and it's better to bide her time, if possible.
* TemptingFate: Asami, Bolin, and Mako reassure Korra that like Avatar Aang, she has friends on her side and they can save Republic City together. Then the three are arrested. Later, Korra taunts Tarrlok about having no water to bend after destroying his office, which had a fountain. Then she gets [[BloodMagic bloodbended]].
* TitleDrop: A very subtle one.
-->'''Tarrlok:''' That's what I admire about you Korra; your willingness to go to extremes to get what you want. It is a quality that we both share.
* ThunderShock: Korra's face when Ikki tells Asami that the Avatar is crushing on Mako.
* UnstoppableRage: Tarrlok proves his competence as a fighter as he gives Korra the fight of her life, driving to the point that she earthbended a ''stone wall''. If anything, the girl was seeing red and was ready to end the man with her firebending before Tarrlok pulled the bloodbending card.
* WhamEpisode: Though both of the previous episodes were also, the implications towards the end--namely that going by Korra's vision and what we now know about Tarrlok, he may have something to do with Yakone, who Aang defeated 42 years ago. And the immediate ending.
* WhamShot: Korra suddenly freezing in place just as she was about to continue to attack Tarrlok. Any ''Avatar'' fan, after a moment of confusion, will immediately react in horror when they realize what kind of bending Tarrlok is using.
* WorstWhateverEver: Korra's opinion on Saikhan being the worst chief of police ever for not letting the innocent non-benders and her friends go free and going along with Tarrlok's draconian measures. Tenzin agrees with her.
** Which, considering [[Recap/AvatarTheLastAirbenderAvatarDay the stories]] he's likely been told, is [[FridgeBrilliance saying a lot]].
* YouAreNotAlone: When Korra stresses about not being able to airbend, Mako, Bolin, and Asami come along and remind her Aang was not alone and neither is Korra. Which makes the later events of the episode all the more brutal.