While ''Voyager'' is in the middle of a blackout, Neelix is put in charge of keeping the ship's children calm. He does this by telling them a story about "[[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin The Haunting of Deck 12.]]"
!! This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
* AttackHello: Tal Celes does this to Harry Kim, thinking that he's a hostile alien.
* CowardlyLion: Neelix. In spite of being so terrified that even Tuvok's attempts at guided meditation don't calm him, when the Vulcan is injured, he does what needs doing to get him to engineering.
* CreepyChild: The children Neelix is put in charge of sport odd stares and are not in the slightest disturbed by topics like cannibalism.[[JustifiedTrope They]] ''[[JustifiedTrope are]]'' [[JustifiedTrope former Borg.]]
* DeadpanSnarker: Tuvok gets a good one after Tom and Harry [[ThatCloudLooksLike talk about the scary things (like a vampire bat) that they see in the nebula]]:
--> '''Harry:''' What do you see, Tuvok?\\
'''Tuvok:''' Two Starfleet officers with juvenile imaginations.
* ElevatorFailure: Almost kills Chakotay.
* FramingStory: Most of the episode is a story Neelix is telling the children.
* GoingDownWithTheShip: Janeway almost does this before the alien relents.
* HypocriticalHumor: the last couple lines of the episode:
-->'''Janeway''': So, how'd you do it? Told them fairy tales?
-->'''Neelix''': Oh, no. Some of those stories can be very scary. Ogres and goblins.
* ImAHumanitarian: the children (who are Borg) suggest that after a catastrophe, the survivors of the Talaxian ship ''Salvoxia'' survived by turning cannibal. Neelix is obviously uncomfortable with the idea.
* NoOneGetsLeftBehind: [[TheHeart Neelix]] to [[TheSpock Tuvok]].
-->'''Tuvok''': I am injured. Logic dictates that you take the mask and proceed to main engineering.
-->'''Neelix''': I don't care what logic dictates! This isn't the ''Salvoxia''. We're not drawing lots.
-->'''Tuvok''': [[ThatsAnOrder I am giving you an order.]]
-->'''Neelix''': [[ScrewTheRulesImDoingWhatsRight And I'm disobeying it.]] You're coming with me if I have to drag you by your pointy little ears!