The Enterprise visits a world in which the otherwise very humanlike (they aren't even RubberForeheadAliens) inhabitants have reversed some human patterns of sex-based physical differences. The females are generally taller, stronger, and more physically imposing than the (to us) effeminate and waifish males. In addition, all the leadership roles in this society are filled by women and the men are subservient. The Enterprise's purpose is to rescue survivors of a downed freighter but everyone on the Enterprise gets sick.
We open with the ''Enterprise'' investigating a seven-year overdue ship, showing just how much the Federation cares for its citizens. They find the wreck, but with no escape pods, suggesting there are survivors. The nearest planet is Angel One, a pre-warp society which is a matriarchy. Women are the dominant gender, while men are subservient. Naturally, Picard gives the responsibility of contacting them to Troi, the only person on the bridge who isn't wearing a uniform and has no diplomatic training whatsoever. The women of Angel One agree to help them, with Picard noting that Starfleet is hoping this world will become part of the Federation (again, they are a ''pre-warp'' society).
Riker, Troi, Data, and Tasha beam down to Angel One, where we see just how desperate casting was to find women over six feet tall with acting ability. In addition, the men are wearing tight-fitting clothes exposing a great deal of chest, an attempt to provide commentary, and yet Troi is doing the exact same thing (another reason why Troi wearing a uniform would be better). The women of Angel One are distrustful of the ''Enterprise'' crew, but permit them to stay for the meantime. Aboard the ''Enterprise'', Wesley Crusher has contracted a virus, continuing the Season 1 trend of Wesley helping destroy the ship.
* BoldlyComing: One of the more notable cases in the series. Riker not only rationalizes going off to score with Baeta as being part of the diplomatic nature of their mission, but he even dresses up in native male attire, which bares his chest, specifically to appeal to her. Deanna and Tasha [[FreeLoveFuture find it hilarious]].
* CampStraight: The native males of Angel One are distinctly effeminate as compared to men from the Federation.
* DullSurprise: When casting is tasked with finding a bunch of women over six feet tall, they're naturally not going to be too picky about acting ability.
* EarlyInstallmentWeirdness: Angel One is established to be a world in a mid-20th Century age of development, meaning the Prime Directive should have forbidden Picard from making contact with them.
* LadyLand: More like Lady ''Planet''.
* ModernStasis: Angel One is described as having roughly a 20th Century level of technology. Yet this is ''not'' their first contact with the Federation. They had been contacted more than 60 years prior, raising the question of whether they had either been very primitive at the time of first contact or else made very little technological progress.
* MoralDissonance: Despite the above-mentioned low-tech nature of the civilization on Angel One, not only is the Prime Directive being ignored with regards to them, but the opening exposition outright states that this mission is diplomatically sensitive because the Federation hopes to bring Angel One into the Federation as a member! Apparently this is due to their strategic proximity to the Romulan Neutral Zone.
* RaceAgainstTheClock: The ''Enterprise'' can't linger too long, as there is increased Romulan activity at an outpost near the Neutral Zone.
* StrawFeminist: The defining trait of Angel One.
* TakeAThirdOption: Instead of executing the freighter's survivors, or letting the ''Enterprise'' take them away, Baeta chooses to exile them to a remote portion of the planet.
* TooDumbToLive: Ariel had married one of the survivors, presumably for quite some time, and somehow it is only now that she is caught.
* YouAreInCommandNow: Picard puts Geordi in command upon being relieved by Dr. Crusher. When Geordi is incapacitated, Riker orders Data back to the ship to take command.