The second episode of South Park. Cartman wins an essay contest which brings Kathie Lee Gifford to town, which unsettles Mr. Garrison due to losing a talent show against her when they were kids. Meanwhile, the Mayor wants to use the publicity from Kathie Lee's visit to South Park to get out of the "piss ant redneck mountain town" and further up the politics ladder. Cartman tries to get into shape for his appearance on national TV, HilarityEnsues.
First appearance of Jimbo.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* ZeroPercentApprovalRating: Mr. Garrison's exclamation of "To Hell with Kathie Lee Gifford!" during rehearsal of the school's play (in which he has the pioneers attacking the Indians savagely) is met with boos and a dismissal from directing the play.
* AbnormalLimbRotation: Mr. Hat's head rotates as he exclaims, "KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLL!"
* AxCrazy: Mr. Hat, who convinces Mr. Garrison to kill Kathie Lee as revenge.
* DidIJustSayThatOutLoud: Mr. Garrison when he exclaims "To Hell with Kathie Lee Gifford!" right in public.
* DisproportionateRetribution: Mr. Hat's attempt to kill Kathie Lee for outdoing him in a talent show when they were kids.
* EarlyInstallmentWeirdness: Bebe wears an entirely pink jacket instead of the red and gray one that she's usually known to wear.
* EskimosArentReal: Cartman seems to confuse Eskimos with dolphins. To him it's all just "a bunch of tree-hugging hippie crap."
* EstablishingCharacterMoment: This episode establishs Kyle's bullying Cartman all the time that still exists in the latest episodes.
* IntercourseWithYou: Chef's song to Kathie Lee, which he gets at the end of the episode.
* KidsAreCruel: Kyle does nothing but hurl abuse at Cartman as he gains weight.
* PlagiarismInFiction: Cartman's essay turns out to be [[spoiler:''Walden'' with Creator/HenryDavidThoreau's name crossed out.]]
* PoliceAreUseless: Officer Barbrady tells Mr. Garrsion (armed with a gun, which he compliments) where to get "a good, clear shot--er, view of Kathie Lee", and confiscates a camera from a fan, telling him, "No pictures of Kathie Lee!" Later on, Stan tells Barbrady that Mr. Garrison is going to kill Kathie Lee. Barbrady flashes back to himself telling Mr. Garrison to go to the book depository, but then acts like Mr. Garrison "could be anywhere!" Immediately after Barbrady rushes off to issue an APB, Stan and Wendy find out on their own where Mr. Garrison is.
* ShoutOut: Mr. Garrison uses the "You talkin' to me?!" scene from TaxiDriver to decide whether he has the right gun.
** Mr.Hat then uses the "I would have gotten away with it if not for you meddling kids." from ''Franchise/ScoobyDoo'' when Barbrady arrests him.
* StrangeMindsThinkAlike: Cartman's belief that dolphins live in igloos seems to be shared by Mr. Garrison, judging from his comment on Wendy's essay.
* TemporaryBulkChange: Cartman takes Weight Gain 4000 and winds up incredibly obese to the point that he looks like Jabba the Hutt and is unaware that he's gained weight. He's back to his typical weight the next episode.
* TheThemeParkVersion: The Mayor finds Mr. Garrison's depiction of the history of South Park adorable... [[SubvertedTrope until the kids portraying the pioneers enter and attack the kids portraying the natives brutally]].
--> '''Mayor:''' Mr. Garrison, we can not have our children beating each other senseless in front of Kathie Lee Gifford.\\
'''Mr. Garrison:''' Well, what do you want? This is how it happened in those days.
-->'''Officer Barbrady:''' Thought you could get away with it, eh Mr. Hat?\\
'''Mr. Hat:''' ''(casually)'' Well, I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.