Films watched: ''Film/JohnnyAtTheFair'' (short) and ''Film/TheRebelSet''
!!The [[Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000 MST3K]] presentation of ''The Rebel Set'' provides examples of:
* BerserkButton: For Servo, Joel and Crow identifying the actor who plays the conductor as Merritt Stone ([[RunningGag he's not]], by the way).
* BrickJoke: "I spent that dollar an hour ago!"
** Also: "So, all this happened because Johnny got lost at the fair?" referring to the episode's short film.
* ContinuityNod: "[[Film/CatalinaCaper Tommy Kirk]] -- assassin!"
** Also when Tom points out that Leland is played by the star of ''Film/TheGiantGilaMonster'':
--->'''Tom Servo''': Hey, you know who that is? I'll give you a clue: Sing whenever I sing whenever I singó
--->'''Crow and Joel''': [[BigNo Noooooo!]]
* FauxHorrific: After being unfazed by the likes of ''Literature/InColdBlood'' and ''Helter Skelter'', Servo and Crow are frightened out of their wits by ''Life's Little Instruction Book''.
* LogicBomb: Servo suffers one of these when the others counteract his attempts to prove the identity of the conductor in the film (for the record, it's Gene Roth).
** YourHeadASplode -- again.
** It's actually a reference to how the crew noticed Merritt Stone's name in several of their films (all of which get referenced in the sketch in question) but none of them could actually spot the recurring face in all of them.
** For the record, it eventually got to the point where, in the ending bit with the Mads, TV's Frank has been driven to ''madness'' trying to figure out who Merritt Stone is.
* PunctuatedForEmphasis: "He's NOT! MERRITT! STONE!"
* ShoutOut: When the struggling writer is at his typewriter, Servo says, "Let's see here ... 'A screaming comes across the sky' ." This is the opening line of ''Literature/GravitysRainbow'' by Creator/ThomasPynchon.
* TrainProblem: In the sketch where Joel tries to have the 'Bots write literature that would meet Merritt Stone's approval, Gypsy succeeds by reciting one of these. They also call Tucker's plan "the SAT caper" after hearing the page quote.
!!The [[Series/MysteryScienceTheater3000 MST3K]] treatment of ''Johnny At The Fair'' brings us:
* BeardOfEvil: When Johnny enters the Chemical Wonderland...
--> '''Crow:''' A whiskery man hands him a small package. "The first one's free," he says...
* BlackComedy: Oh yes! A little boy exploring the World's Fair becomes a full-fledged descent into madness.
* CheeseEatingSurrenderMonkeys: "Oh look, it's the Arc de Full Retreat!"
* EldritchAbomination: Tom [[MoodWhiplash cheerfully]] narrates, "Then Johnny transmogrifies! He's a shapeshifter! ''[Laughs]'' [[SignsOfTheEndTimes And he breaks the fourth seal...]]"
* HypocriticalHumor: Joel admonishes the bots for their tendency toward dark humor at the beginning of the short, but doesn't criticize any of the jokes they make...and there are a LOT of them.
* IronicEcho: "'Jiminy,' thinks Johnny, 'if only I could get a ride in one of those!'" (''whilst being snuggled in Barbara Ann Scott's bosom''). See also GettingCrapPastTheRadar.
* ItWasWithYouAllAlong: Mocked:
-->'''Narrator:''' (Johnny's parents) have looked everywhere... everywhere except one place."\\
'''Crow:''' Their own hearts.
** When the film shows a foal trying to nurse from another horse, Servo quips, "Oops! Sorry, dad!"
** And Crow's quip about Johnny and Barbara Ann Scott above.
* ParentalNeglect: Ruthlessly and hilariously implied in the riffing.
* SanitySlippage: Part of their interpretation of Johnny's adventure:
-->'''Servo:''' "Johnny feels dark hands pushing him onward. The voices in his head get meaner."
->[[TheStinger "I am BUGGED!"]]