[[caption-width-right:350:[[MoneyFetish Money makes her happy]]]]
->''Break a law, everyone’s done that. My mama's done that, but steal a law…oh, [Parker's] gonna be a legend, baby!''
A soldier, Robert Perry, is taping a message for home when someone opens fire. At a hospital, the Perry tells Nate that it was private contractors from a company called Castleman that shot him and now the company won’t pay for his rehab, since the official story is that it was insurgents.
Nate calls Hardison and tells him to call the team. He brings them to the offices of Leverage Consulting and Associates, their new cover.
Nate shows them Perry’s video and Eliot confirms that it was the contractors, and Nate sets them after the documentation needed to keep a big lie going.
While Parker and Hardison break into Castleman’s office, Sophie mingles with Castleman CEO Charles Dufort and his contact in Congress at a social gathering, presenting herself as a representative from an overseas company. They were discussing Appropriations Bill 718, something Dufort has a keen interest in. Nate distracts him while Sophie lifts the security card from his wallet.
With that Hardison is able to get into Dufort’s computer, while Parker needs a pass phrase in his voice to get into his safe. Eliot tricks him into saying the syllables she needs with a couple of exceptions…’f’, ‘u’, and ‘kah’.
-->'''Dufort''': This is shrimp you stupid [[CurseCutShort fu-]]
-->'''Parker''': Oh, there they are! Really loud too.
Inside the safe, they find photos of Perry, and Nate realizes the cover up isn’t about the shooting, it’s about what was being transported. Perry is a witness, and Castleman will be coming after him.
At the hospital, Nate and Sophie get Perry out while Eliot realizes a couple of doctors are wearing the [[ImposterForgotOneDetail wrong kind of shoes]] and must be the hitmen and moves to intercept them.
After Perry is secured, they go through the hitmen’s stuff. They were going to kill Perry and make it look like a suicide.
They decide to go after Congressman Jenkins and turn him and Dufort against each other. Sophie goes after Jenkins, while Nate talks to Dufort. Hardison checks on the Congressman’s finances and while there are no actual bribes, he’s been getting sweetheart deals to renovate his house. Eliot decides to have some fun and cancel one of his orders for building materials. Meanwhile Parker is putting a modified Bill 718 into the congressional box.
After the bill is submitted, Jenkins is not happy and calls Dufort to let him know. Listening to their phone calls, they find out there’s a shipment sitting in a shipyard in Los Angeles, the cause of the whole incident. Whatever they’re covering up, it’s in that shipping container.
Eliot, Hardison and Parker make their way to the container and find a stack of money inside.
Nate knows where it came from; the government sent it to Iraq for “reconstruction”…$9 billion went missing. They are willing to kill for it because it’s cash, untraceable, able to be used for anything.
Back at the shipyard Nate and Sophie distract the Castleman guards, Hardison and Parker go after the container, while Jenkins arrives to look for his missing shipment. Moments later an explosion goes off. The guards race to the container to find it empty.
Meanwhile, Jenkins and Dufort run into each other. They exchange angry words when suddenly a posse of reporters approaches. Apparently the “congressman” called them, but the empty container isn't the right one. It’s the one next to it and he happens to have the key, which Eliot gave him earlier. They open the container revealing the money and begin to spin a tale of uncovering corruption in Iraq. As they do, everyone’s cell phones go off, and a recording of their conversation earlier is played. The reporters start asking questions, but Jenkins can only say, “OhCrap.”
Back at the hospital, the team presents the money to Perry and the rest of the veterans there.
!Tropes stolen in this job:
* Adorkable: Corporal Perry is this, as well as TheWoobie. His doctor even noogies him in the ending because he wants to "keep half".
* AwesomeByAnalysis: Eliot finds out the two doctors are hitmen by looking at the shoes they wear.
* BadBadActing: Sophie's doing it again at an audition...for a soap commercial.
* BestialityIsDepraved: Perry's friend jokes that Perry cheated on his fiancee with a camel. A drunk, slutty camel.
* BrickJoke: "I bought a plant."
** Which is what caused the mercs to go trigger-happy on Perry's platoon.
** Dufort and the Congressman are caught on their own security webcam talking about the container of money.
* CoolCar: Nate treats himself to a new electric car before financing the Leverage Inc. headquarters and giving the rest of his take from The Nigerian Job away. The team teases him about it, until they find it's a very sleek, gorgeous Tesla racer.
* CorruptCorporateExecutive: The Villain of the Week, with his pet Congressman.
* CorruptPolitician: Congressman Jenkins.
* CurseCutShort: The last few sounds Parker needs to fake a pass phrase.
* CuttingTheKnot: As Hardison starts planning a hack of a webcam, Eliot just hits it with a rock.
-->'''Hardeson:''' Oh, I'm sorry, it was too far away for you to punch, must be really frustrating for you.
* DrivenToSuicide: Castleman intends to make it look like Perry killed himself.
* EvenBadMenLoveTheirMamas: When Elliot has a gun pointed at him in the beginning and his phone rings, he gets the gunman distracted for a second by claiming it isn't him and asking if the guy's mom has his number. The gunman hesitates and Elliot takes him out in a few swift hits.
* EvenEvilHasStandards: After hearing Dufort talking about buying a congressman, Hardison comments, "I'm a professional criminal and ''I'' think that's disturbing."
* FailedASpotCheck: When Parker blows open the container, she doesn't blow up the one with the money, but the one next to it. The guards, and later Dufort, only notice the closeness to where the money container is and assume the worst.
* ForgedMessage: The hitmen after Perry had a suicide note to make it look like he'd killed himself.
* GoodFeelsGood: Team Leverage realizes this in the aftermath of the job, when they present the injured reservists and their doctor with the money the hospital needs to pay for their rehabilitation.
* GravityIsAHarshMistress: It makes Hardison nervous about jumping off the side of a building with Parker.
* HawaiianShirtedTourist: Nate's and Sophie's disguise to distract the mercs complete with AwfulWeddedLife.
* HeKnowsTooMuch: Why Castleman tries to make a hit on Perry.
* HiddenDepths: This is the first time Hardison shows that despite being the BlackAndNerdy [[HollywoodHacking Hollywood Hacker]], he is also a very accomplished artist. [[ForeShadowing It won't be the last.]]
* IgnoreTheFanservice: Sophie is in a very nice dress for the fundraiser, capturing her body well. When she gently brings up the shooting of the soldiers, Congressman Jenkins does this when he denies any knowledge of it, looking her right in the eyes instead. Sophie explains when she is dressed like that and the guy isn't checking her out when he answers a question, it is most certainly because he is lying.
* ImposterForgotOneDetail: Eliot [=IDs=] the hitmen because they're wearing the wrong kind of shoes.
* AMacguffinFullOfMoney: The shipping container full of the stolen cash.
* OhCrap: As Jenkins puts it when the reporters hear the recording of Dufort and the congressman.
* OffscreenBreakup: Perry's fiancee leaves him, he's cool with it now.
* PrecisionFStrike: Of minor plot significance. Parker needs Dufort to say the sounds "eff" "uh" and "kuh." Say those together and one gets that special word.
* PrivateMilitaryContractors: Castleman.
* ScrewTheMoneyIHaveRules: Nate spends a little of his ''astronomical'' take from the Nigerian Job on a CoolCar and on buying and furnishing Leverage Inc. Headquarters. He gives all the rest to a children's hospital, implied to be the same one where Sam died.
* VehicleVanish: Sophie and Nate's way of escape. They leave their luggage, though.