The Justice League's newest member CaptainMarvel unintentionally endorses Lex Luthor's Presidential candidacy, much to ire of the original founding member of the Justice League, and especially Superman. Captain Marvel's na´vetÚ belief of Lex's reformation soon leads to a physical confrontation with the Man of Steel.
* CasualDangerDialog: Superman and Batman are fighting a group of anonymous masked criminals while casually talking about Captain Marvel. About halfway through the scene, one of the heroes suddenly realizes something:
-->'''Batman:''' What do these guys want, anyway?
-->'''Superman:''' To take over the world... Or rob banks. I forget.''(beat up bad guys)'' But, back to Captain Marvel...
* ContinuityNod: Superman comments to Marvel that "we don't sell deodorants on television" when speaking about the League's role as symbols of justice. At this remark, the Flash looks away with some embarrassment; the speedster himself once learned a very similar lesson in "Eclipsed".
* HeroWithBadPublicity: Superman's overreaction of Luthor's power source running Luxor City to be a threat and causing the deconstruction of the city. [[spoiler:All part of Luthor's plan]].
* LetsYouAndHimFight: The penultimate confrontation between Captain Marvel and Superman, and leaving the destruction of Luthor's city; [[spoiler:in which Luthor was counting on all along to bolster his growing popularity and paint the Justice League in a bad light]]. The results causes a disenchanted Captain Marvel to leave the Justice League for good.
* MythologyGag: The fight between Superman and Captain Marvel is a ShoutOut to ''ComicBook/KingdomCome''. In both accounts, Captain Marvel uses his magic lightning to attack Superman, Superman manages to make one of the bolts strike Marvel and proceeds to gag Billy.
** Luthor's actions in rebuilding Lexor City to garner favor and support for a possible presidential run are similar to his actions at the end of ''ComicBook/BatmanNoMansLand'', where he offered to rebuild Gotham City and received much public support as a result.
** One of the buildings destroyed during the Superman/Captain Marvel fight is the Lena Luthor hospital. In the comics, Lena is Lex's mother, or sister, or even daughter, [[ContinuitySnarl depending on the version]].
** "Lexor City" is a small tribute to the planet [[http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Lexor Lexor]] from comic book stories of the 1970s and 1980s. Lex Luthor became a heroic figure to the people of a distant planet, so much so that the planet was re-named in his honor. Luthor would soon retire from crime to benevolently guide the worshipful populace of Lexor to prosperity. However, Lexor (much like Krypton) was destroyed; An event which Luthor would unfairly blame on Superman, re-igniting their ongoing rivalry.
** Billy Batson goes to "C.C. Binder Elementary School", named for Captain Marvel creator C.C. Beck and longtime collaborator Otto Binder.
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Phil O'Bannon and his show, ''The O'Bannon Agenda'', are an obvious parody of the real-life political talk show ''TheOReillyFactor'' and its host Bill O'Reilly.
* XanatosGambit: [[spoiler:Luthor sets up a situation where either Superman will humiliate himself and the League by destroying Luthor's prototype fusion generator...or he won't and Luthor will get great free P.R. himself as a philanthropist and inventor.]]
* VillainWithGoodPublicity: Luthor gains public sympathy following Luxor City's destruction no thanks to Superman. [[spoiler:All of which is part of his plans.]]
* WhatTheHellHero: Captain Marvel chews out the Original Seven before resigning from the Justice League for their paranoia and arrogance.