The Justice League is tricked into defending Apokolips, Darkseid's homeworld, against the threat of Brainiac. The team solicits the aid of the New Gods. The resulting destruction of Brainiac's base leads to the apparent end of Darkseid.
!!!This episode contains examples of the following tropes:
* BaddieFlattery: Darkseid has this to say:
-->'''Darkseid''': I'm glad growing up with Highfather hasn't made you soft or weak. You make an old man proud. But I won't let you or anyone else stand in my way.
** Then he breaks his son's spine with a crushing bearhug and leaves him to die on the exploding asteroid with a pithy "spare the rod".
* EvilVersusEvil: What is initially depicted between Darkseid and Brainiac until it was revealed that the two are in cahoots in an elaborate plot to capture Superman, ''until'' Darkseid actually betrayed Brainiac.
* FamousLastWords: Darkseid: "Hmm, Loser."
* FightingAShadow: Hawkgirl smashes Brainiac to pieces, apparently killing him- only for the team to be immediately surrounded by ''dozens'' of identical Brainiacs, all of which are identical extensions of the central consciousness. Yikes.
* ItsWhatIDo: Darkseid betraying the Justice League and Brainiac in a fake Enemy Mine plan. When Brainiac says, "You betrayed me." Darkseid replies coolly, [[MagnificentBastard "It's what I do."]]
* LetThemDie: Darkseid shows up in the Watchtower and asks for the League's help since Brainiac is attacking Apokolips. Superman's response?
-->'''Superman''': ''[[OOCIsSeriousBusiness Good]]''.
* SoProudOfYou: Darkseid says this to Orion, while Orion is trying to kill him. Darkseid then breaks his back.
-->'''Darkseid''': You make an old man proud.
* ThouShaltNotKill: Superman makes an exception for Darkseid. After Darkseid's latest gambit to conquer the universe, Superman has had it with the tyrant and stays behind on the exploding asteroid so he can kill Darkseid with his bare hands. The only reason he doesn't manage it is because Batman pulls him and Orion into a Boom Tube to save them. As it stands, Superman does manage to kill Darkseid by trapping him on the self destructing asteroid. It even sticks for four whole seasons. Notably, he spared Darkseid the first time he beat him, and this is when Darkseid had nearly (indirectly) killed Supergirl. Kara herself persuaded him from killing Darkseid that time though.
* WhatTheHellHero: Superman has a ''massive'' one for helping Darkseid. While everyone understood why Superman's reaction at seeing him was a NoHoldsBarredBeatdown, cheering when Darkseid told them that Apokolips was about to be destroyed received this.
--->'''Darkseid''': You know his pattern, Kal-El, once he finished siphoning the memory banks of my planet...\\
'''Superman''': He will destroy it. ''Good.''\\
'''Wonder Woman''': Superman!\\
'''Martian Manhunter''': You can't mean-\\
'''Darkseid''': You may not care about what happens to me or my world, but know this: if Brainiac is not stopped, countless more will perish. Think about it. *Leaves*\\
'''Hawkgirl''': What are you saying? You'll let millions die ''just because you don't like this guy!?''\\
'''Superman''': You don't know Darkseid like I do.
** And then, ''Batman'' delivers a second one when Superman delivers that last line:
--->'''Batman:''' We know he used you. Humiliated you. Brainwashed you. Wound you up like a tin soldier and let you loose on Earth. ''Cry me a river.'' On the outside chance that this isn't one of his schemes, we have to take action. So, I suggest you ''get over it.''