'''Airdate:''' March 28, 2000
Lois is named the new director of the Quahog players and decides to put on a production of ''TheKingAndI''. When Peter bombs at his audition, Lois decides to make him the producer to make him happy and to keep him out of the way. Peter gets the play mentioned on the news by casting Diane Simmons in the role of Anna, despite the role previously being given to Loretta.
Peter adds more and more stupid and outlandish changes to the script, which everyone agrees on but Lois, despite those changes being so popular that the play sells out fast. Finally having had it with Peter, Lois quits and names him the director. As revenge, Lois makes some "creative changes" to his breakfast. Peter's constant changes frustrate Diane into quitting, so he takes the role of Anna himself.
On opening night, Peter's version ''The King and I'' is seen taking place in a post-apocalyptic future where a human/android takes on a tyrannical king with kung fu fights featuring partially-nude Asian women. Lois, expecting Peter's play to bomb miserably, is dumbfounded to find that the play is a massive hit. She finally snaps and yells at the audience for cheering at "this mind-numbing schlock", but when Peter creates a long fart, the audience laughs. Later that night, Peter thanks Lois for giving him the director job, saying it gave him the creativity he needed to get his play off the ground. Feeling guilty, Lois admits that if everyone liked that play, it's got to be entertaining.
!!"The King is Dead" contains examples of:
* AdaptationDecay: Peter's version of ''The King And I''.
* BaitAndSwitch: After Diane quits, Peter says that there was always someone there who should have played Anna from the start. When Loretta comes to thank Peter, Peter says that he himself will play Anna.
* EatTheCamera: Peter at the end of his audition.
* FunWithAcronyms: Automaton Nuclear Neo-human Android (A.N.N.A.).
* InNameOnly: This episode provides the page quote.
-->'''Lois''' There is no ''talking penguin'' in ''The King and I''!
-->'''Peter:''' There are in ''Peter Griffin presents The King and I''.
* LargeHam: Parodied. Brian announces his role as the King of Siam in a dramatic fashion, to Quagmire's annoyance.
* NewsTravelsFast: Right after Lois gets the call that she is the new theater director, Tom Tucker announces it on the news, complete with a photo of Lois from seconds ago.
* MonkeysOnATypewriter: The basis of a CutawayGag, but here, the monkeys are intelligent and speak like humans.
* PrecisionFStrike: "This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...''BLOWS!!!"''
** The Quahog Players puts on an adaptation of ''Theatre/TheKingAndI''.
** Peter performs the theme song for ''Series/LandOfTheLost''.
** The marquee on opening night says that the play is "A Peter Griffin Joint", a reference to Spike Lee's odd director credit ("A Spike Lee Joint" instead of "Film").
-->'''Peter:''' Hey, I have more creativity in my whole body than most people do before 9:00 a.m.
-->'''Lois:''' The only thing you create before 9:00 a.m. is exactly what you've turned my show into.
-->'''Peter:''' I think my work will speak for itself. ''(leaves the room and comes back)'' [[LateToThePunchline Oh, ha-ha, I just got that.]] A poop joke? [[SarcasmMode That's real creative, Lois.]]