'''Airdate:''' March 28, 2000
Lois is named the new director of the Quahog players and decides to put on a production of ''TheKingAndI'', but Peter wants in on the production as well, and Lois' attempts at [[KickedUpstairs kicking Peter upstairs]] to producer end up giving him creative control over the entire project.
!!"The King is Dead" contains examples of:
* AdaptationDecay: Peter's version of ''The King And I''.
* BaitAndSwitch: After Diane quits, Peter says that there was always someone there who should have played Anna from the start. When Loretta comes to thank Peter, Peter says that he himself will play Anna.
* CaptainObvious: "Hey, were you there when I farted?"
* ClassicallyTrainedExtra: Stewie, who auditions with a passage from ''Theatre/RichardIII'' but is cast as a Siamese baby.
--> '''Stewie''': Stewie Griffin does not play bit parts!
* DidYouJustPunchOutCthulhu: In one cutaway, UsefulNotes/AlbertEinstein slams God's head in a stove.
* EatTheCamera: Peter at the end of his audition.
* FunWithAcronyms: Automaton Nuclear Neo-human Android (A.N.N.A.).
* HintDropping: Brian, who wants to be in Lois's play, tells Lois, "I sing... ''beautifully''". Lois gives an annoyed, "So I've heard."
* InNameOnly: This episode provides the page quote.
-->'''Lois''' There is no ''talking penguin'' in ''The King and I''!
-->'''Peter:''' There are in ''Peter Griffin presents The King and I''.
* LargeHam: Parodied. Brian announces his role as the King of Siam in a dramatic fashion, to Quagmire's annoyance.
* LeaningOnTheFourthWall: Lois's description of ''The King and I'' also fits her marriage - and by extension, ''Family Guy'' itself - perfectly.
* MonkeysOnATypewriter: The basis of a CutawayGag, but here, the monkeys are intelligent and speak like humans.
* NewsTravelsFast: Right after Lois accepts the role of theater director over the phone, Tom Tucker announces it on the news, complete with a photo of Lois from seconds ago.
* OverlyLongGag: After Lois lambasts Peter and the audience, Peter lets out a long, stuttering fart. The audience applauds wildly again, aggravating Lois.
* PrecisionFStrike: "This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...''BLOWS!!!"''
* TheReasonYouSuckSpeech: Lois gives one to both the audience [[WhatTheHellHero for liking Peter's interpretation of]] ''Theatre/TheKingAndI'', as well as Peter for transforming it into something surreal and unlike the original play.
-->'''Lois:''' Oh my God. They liked it? (''Lois stands on her seat and faces the audience'') Stop it! Stop clapping right now! What's wrong with you? These people shouldn't be encouraged! They should be punished! That man has committed murder here this evening and the victim's name is "theater"! This is the kind of mind-numbing schlock that's turning our society into a cultural wasteland! This isn't art! This isn't even entertainment! This...BLOWS!!!
** The Quahog Players puts on an adaptation of ''Theatre/TheKingAndI''.
** Peter performs the theme song for ''Series/LandOfTheLost''.
** The marquee on opening night says that the play is "A Peter Griffin Joint", a reference to Spike Lee's odd director credit ("A Spike Lee Joint" instead of "Film").
-->'''Peter:''' Hey, I have more creativity in my whole body than most people do before 9:00 a.m.
-->'''Lois:''' The only thing you create before 9:00 a.m. is exactly what you've turned my show into.
-->'''Peter:''' I think my work will speak for itself. ''(leaves the room and comes back)'' [[LateToThePunchline Oh, ha-ha, I just got that.]] A poop joke? [[SarcasmMode That's real creative, Lois.]]