-> ''You'll have tae eat more porridge.''
-->-- '''Jamie''' to Zoe, as she fails to open a door
The TARDIS lands on a space beacon just before it is attacked by the titular Space Pirates. They blow off a chunk of the beacon with the Doctor, Jamie and Zoe (but not the TARDIS) aboard, and tow it off to be salvaged.
There is a fight between the pirates and the Interstellar Space Corps, who believe the pirates' leader is an eccentric explorer called Milo Clancey, while in fact it is a man called Caven. Caven is assisted by Madeleine Issigri, daughter of his partner Dom, who he has double-crossed and keeps prisoner. When Madeleine discovers this, she shops Caven to the ISC and the exonerated Clancy gives them a lift back to the TARDIS.
With the exception of episode 2, this entire story is missing from the BBC archives. Thankfully, these are the last missing episodes. Everything beyond this point exists, though not always in the originally recorded format.
* DeadpanSnarker: The Doctor, when Jamie is revealed to still be alive.
--> '''Jamie:''' Anything's possible in the TARDIS, especially when he's at the controls.
--> '''The Doctor:''' [[StopHelpingMe Jamie.]] [[FlatJoy You're better.]]
* MacGuffin: The Argonite that everyone's after
* NiceJobBreakingItHero: The Doctor's attempt to link segments up backfires spectacularly.
* OneWomanWail: Used throughout the soundtrack to evoke the vastness of space.
* SciFiWritersHaveNoSenseOfScale: Averted. Robert Holmes goes to great pains to establish that travel through space takes a good deal of time.
* SleepCute: The Doctor, Jamie and Zoe. See above
* SpaceNavy: The Interstellar Space Corps
* SpacePirates ([[ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin Obviously]])
* SpaceWestern: If you think of the titular pirates as actually being a gang of outlaws, suddenly the fact one of the main characters is a grizzled old prospector makes a lot more sense.
* WhoWearsShortShorts: Zoe.