[[caption-width-right:350:Huh, [[CompletelyMissingThePoint Sarah did something with her hair...]]]]
->''"Is that finger loaded?"''
-->-- '''The Doctor''' sizes up the threat.
The TARDIS lands in a typical English village that Sarah recognises as Devesham, home of the British Space Defence Station. However, it soon becomes obvious that things are not all as they should be, and the Doctor and Sarah realise that the village is a replica populated with androids.
An alien race -- the Kraals -- are aided by a brainwashed human astronaut, Guy Crayford, and have built the replica to rehearse for an invasion of the Earth. Styggron, a Kraal scientist, has perfected a lethal virus and plans to use his androids to disseminate it around the world, paving the way for the Kraal fleet.
Crayford, whose rocket had been damaged and who was rescued by the Kraals, returns to a hero's welcome. But with the Brigadier off in Geneva, no-one at UNIT believes the Doctor when he tells tall stories of android replicas -- which now include himself, Harry and RSM Benton. The Doctor manages to use the radio equipment at the base to jam the android control signal and stop Styggron releasing the virus. He then uses his own android replica to fight Styggron, who infects himself with the virus in the process and is killed.
* ActingForTwo: Everyone who has a robot duplicate.
* ArmCannon: See quote at the top of the page.
* BondVillainStupidity: Styggron on at least two occasions.
* TheBusCameBack: Harry Sullivan and Sergeant Benton make their final appearances in ''Doctor Who''.
* DeadpanSnarker: The Doctor gets off a good one when tied to a post and left next to a bomb.
-->'''Doctor''': "Don't go. Stay, then we can [[BlackComedy all go together!]]"
* DistressedDude: Sarah busts the Doctor out of his cell.
-->"This time I'm saving you!"
* DoesNotLikeSpam: Sarah Jane apparently hates ginger pop. It's how the Doctor recognizes her ginger pop-drinking android impostor.
* EyepatchOfPower: Crayford wears one. It later turns out he doesn't need it.
* HoistByHisOwnPetard: Styggron ends up getting killed by the virus he intended to infect humanity with.
* LargeHam: Two [[Creator/TomBaker Tom Bakers]]? It's amazing any scenery was ''left''.
* NotHerself: Sarah Jane apparently hates ginger pop. It's how the Doctor recognizes her ginger pop-drinking android impostor.
* RedemptionEqualsDeath: Crayford.
* SpoilerTitle: One of the worst of the many examples in ''Doctor Who'', which gives away something that is meant to be a mystery for two full episodes.
* SuspiciouslySimilarSubstitute: Colonel Faraday for TheBrigadier.
* SyntheticPlague: The Kraals plan to wipe the human race out with one.
* WakingNonSequitur: After being interrogated, the Doctor isn't exactly lucid.
-->'''Doctor''': "Once upon a time, there were three sisters, and they lived at the bottom of a treacle well. Are you listening, Tilly?"
-->'''Sarah-Jane''': "I'm ''Sarah''."
* WhatHappenedToTheMouse: We never see Benton again after he's knocked out by one of the duplicates. In fact, for many years some fans thought Benton had actually been killed in this story, until ''Mawdryn Undead'' revealed that he had retired from the army and become a used car salesman.
** Or Chedaki, for that matter. He doesn't go with Styggron to Earth. What happened to him?
* YouHaveOutlivedYourUsefulness: Pretty much said verbatim by Styggron when he kills Crayford.
* YouSaidYouWouldLetThemGo / ILied