--> "Who are ''you'' and what do ''you'' want?"
The Gaang continues their search for Appa in Ba Sing Se. While setting up posters, Katara comes across an old friend: Jet. Jet claims to have seen Appa and the Gaang begrudgingly accepts his help. Unfortunately, Jet has been brainwashed by Dai Li agents and is leading the Gaang on a false trail.
Meanwhile, Iroh's tea-making finally pays off, as he is given his own tea shop in the Upper Ring. Zuko continues his search for Aang upon realizing that he is in the city looking for Appa. Iroh confronts Zuko and tries to help him understand that he decides his own destiny and not the people around him.
* AndThenWhat: Uncle Iroh asks Zuko this regarding his plan to steal Appa.
* ArmorPiercingQuestion: This page's quote is the one that Iroh asks Zuko.
* BigDamnHeroes: Appa swooping in to save the gang from the Dai Li.
* BittersweetEnding: The escapes the Dai Li and finds Appa, but Jet is killed by Long Feng.
* BrainwashedAndCrazy: Jet.
* ContinuityNod: Iroh brings up how Zuko captured Aang at the North Pole without any idea what to do next, so he ended up just holing up in a cave and was actually lucky the rest of the Gaang found him before he froze to death.
* CurbStompBattle: The Gaang vs. the Dai Li. Toph alone takes down over half of them.
** Long Feng claims he can handle Appa by himself. Appa grabs his foot and tosses him in the lake.
* CutApart: Team Avatar opens the door to where they think Appa is, and Appa looks up at the opening door to see... Zuko. A mild lampshading follows as Zuko snarks, "Expecting someone else?"
* ElaborateUndergroundBase: The base the Dai Li have beneath Lake Laogai.
* ForgottenPhlebotinum: The DVD Commentary confesses that, yes, the writers just forgot about Katara's water from the North Pole Spirit Oasis (but it couldn't have saved Jet anyway, [[AuthorsSavingThrow they say]]).
* IKnowYoureInThereSomewhereFight: Aang to Jet, after Long Feng activates the brainwashing.
* LivingLieDetector: Toph can tell when someone is lying by sensing their breath and heart beat. This helped the Gaang find out that Jet's been brainwashed: when Smellerbee reveals that Jet had been captured by the Dai Li a couple weeks ago, Jet denies it, claiming he's been living peacefully in the city. Toph can't tell who is right because they both think they're telling the truth, leading the Gaang to realize Jet's been brainwashed.
* ManchurianAgent: Jet.
* MindControlEyes[=/=]OpenTheIris: When the Dai Li activate the brainwashing, this happens.
* NinjaLog: Zuko pulls this as part of his plan to get into the Dai Li's underground base.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness[=/=]SuddenlyVoiced: Longshot speaks for the first time, highlighting the severity of Jet's wounds.
** For the former, the normally patient, collected Iroh ''loses his shit'' and yells at Zuko for his lack of forethought.
* PetTheDog: Zuko lets Appa go.
* RedemptionEqualsDeath: Jet.
* ReformedButRejected: Jet.
* ShootHimHeHasAWallet: Jet bumps into Katara, who is not happy [[WomanScorned to see him]], and reaches for something in his pocket; Katara pins Jet to a wall with ice daggers, but it turns out that Jet was reaching for one of Aang's fliers about Appa.
* ShoutOut: Iroh tells Zuko he needs to ask himself the "big questions": [[Series/BabylonFive "Who are you?" and "What do you want?"]]
* TerribleArtist: Sokka's attempt to make the lost offer poster for Appa is rather... bad, to say the least. It's made even better by this exchange:
-->'''Toph:''' [[BlatantLies It looks just like him to me!]]
-->'''Sokka:''' Thank you, I worked really- ''*beat*'' Why do you feel the need to do that?
* TriggerPhrase: The sentence "The Earth King has invited you to Lake Laogai" activates the brainwashing.
* WhamLine: "...He's lying."
* WorstWhateverEver: Toph calls Ba Sing Se the "worst city ever" when the Gaang leaves.