Obelix has been acting very strange lately. Whenever the lovely Panacea walks by, he loses track of what he's doing, walking into trees, not eating more than two boars, and delivering menhirs he doesn't have. It turns out that he's in love with Panacea! However, she has a fiance, Tragicomix...who's just been forcibly conscripted into the Roman Legion! Heartbroken, Obelix nonetheless volunteers himself and Asterix to retrieve Tragicomix.
Ariving at Condatum, they learn that Tragicomix has already been deployed to Africa where Caesar is fighting his rival Scipio. With no choice, the two Gauls enlist. The pair take to the military a bit differently than most recruits, and drive their Commanding Officers to tears in frustration. Regardless, they complete their training and make it to Africa.
At Caesar's camp, they learn that Tragicomix has been captured by Scipio. The Gauls take off to launch a jailbreak, and inadvertently provoke a battle between Caesar and Scipio's forces. Because both sides have the same uniform, the battlefield becomes quite confusing, and Scipio retreats, sick of the whole affair. Though incidental, Caesar recognizes that the Gauls' actions have brought victory to his forces, and rewards them with an honorable discharge.
The three Gauls return to their village, and the lovers are reunited. Before leaving to get married in Condatum, Panacea gives Asterix and Obelix a kiss of thanks. And while Obelix returns to normal, his good attitude and appitite restored, Asterix spends the ending banquet sitting in a tree, dazed.
* AnimatedAdaptation: This and ''Asterix The Gladiator'' were fused to create ''Asterix vs Caesar''.
* IWantMyBelovedToBeHappy: Obelix, of course. While he puts on a stoic face for Panacea, once he and Asterix are out of view...
-->'''Asterix:''' Obelix, I'm proud of you! You were really brave! When you heard Panacea was engaged you didn't even...
-->'''Obelix:''' '''BOOHOOHOO! ''I'M SO UNHAPPY!'''''
* EveryEpisodeEnding: Cacofonix has been tied up as usual, but there's someone else sitting this one out... It's Asterix himself, in a lovesick daze.
* LoveMakesYouCrazy: Panacea has a profound effect on Obelix, such as...
** DistractedByTheSexy: Seeing Panacea causes Obelix to walk into trees, [[DoesNotKnowHisOwnStrength knocking them over.]]
** PostKissCatatonia: Dogmatix, Obelix, and Asterix suffer from this.
* ObstructiveBureaucrat: Asterix gets the runaround from these in Condatum before losing his temper.
* OOCIsSeriousBusiness: When [[BigEater Obelix]] isn't hungry for more than two boars, Asterix becomes ''very'' worried.
* RagtagBandOfMisfits: The company Asterix and Obelix are part of consist of Neveratalos the Greek, Selectivemploymentax the Briton, Gastronomix the Belgian, Hemispheric the Goth, and Ptenisnet the Egyptian who thinks he's joined a holiday camp. Subverted in that they don't accomplish much beside driving their [=COs=] to tears.
* RunningGag: Whenever a character breaks down in tears, somebody will ask if he's in love.
** Also, a mix-up near the start of the album results in Obelix thereafter referring to hitting people as "being polite".