As a unique gift for Caesar, Odius Asparagus, prefect of Gaul, decides to bring him one of the indomitable ones from the village surrounded by fortified camps. As the only Gaul the local Legionaries are comfortable with going up against, Cacophonix is kidnapped. Never ones to let a fellow Gaul be put in danger, Asterix and Obelix head for Rome on a Phoenician merchant's ship, thrashing a pirate crew along the way.
In Rome, Caesar's lanista (Trainer of gladiators) Caius Fatous decides that Cacophonix is no good as a gladiator, but will make excellent food for the lions. Asterix and Obelix learn of this, and because they don't know where Cacophonix is being held, decide to join the games themselves. Needless to say, they handle their formal training a bit differently than most would-be gladiators.
Sure enough, at the next games, the antics of the Gauls drive Caesar into frustration. However, the crowd eats it up, so Caesar permits the Gauls to name their reward; they chose to go free, as well as bring Caius Fatous with them. Caesar is more than happy to let them have the unwitting instigator of his recent humilation. The Gauls put Caius to work on the Phoenicans' ship, showing him what it's like when someone lives off of your muscle. The Gauls return to their village, have their feast...
...and Cacophonix ''still'' gets BoundAndGagged.
(Note: First appearence of the Pirates)
* AnimatedAdaptation: Combined with ''Asterix the Legionnaire'' to create ''Asterix vs Caesar''.
* BeenThereShapedHistory: In the arena scene in the AnimatedAdaptation, Obelix gets distracted and accidentally runs into a support pillar and causes a sizable portion of the Colosseum to collapse. [[ArtisticLicenseHistory Quite an impressive feat when you remember that the Colosseum wouldn't even be built for another century.]]
* BrownNote: This is where Cacophonix's bad voice is fully illustrated.
* GoneHorriblyRight: Caius Fatous involves the Gauls because he thinks they'll make the games more interesting.
* NonActionGuy: Cacophonix's role as this is what gets him captured.
-->'''Gladiators''': Ave Caesar! Those who are about to die salute you!
-->'''Asterix and Obelix''': Hiya, Julie! How ya doing?