In another village, the Gauls are divided by large ditch and a dispute in the leadership. The left half support Cleverdix, and the right half follow Majestix. All attempts to settle the argument fail, leaving Cleverdix's son Histrionix and Majestix's daughter Melodrama to lament their plight. However, Codfix, Majestix's right-hand man, claims to have a solution; If he gets Melodrama's hand in marriage, he'll get the local Romans to aid Majestix. While Majestix isn't too keen on Roman interference, he agrees if the Romans will back off afterwards. Melodrama informs Histrionix of this, and on the advice of his father, Histrionix goes to Asterix's village for help. Learning of the plight, Asterix, Obelix, and Getafix agree to protect the village from the Romans and help resolve the divide.
Codfix goes to the local Legionary camp, and learns that there's a labor shortage. He offers the Centurion Cleverdix and his followers as slaves in exchange for making Majestix chief of their village. While not wanting to break the Pax Romana, the centurion gives in. Asterix's crew and the Romans arrive at the village at the same time, but Majestix is outraged when he learns of the deal Codfix struck, and declares that no Gauls shall be Roman slaves. Angry at what he perceives to be a false promise, the centurion has Majestix and his men taken as prisoners, except for Codfix, who remained in hiding.
Asterix, Obelix, and Getafix decide to infiltrate the Roman camp, since they're not as well known in these parts, and offer themselves up as slaves. The sentry makes the mistake of calling Obelix fat and gets his lights punched out. Luckily, Getafix has a healing potion ready- it not only heals wounds, but also makes the taker forget what injured them. However, the druid absent-mindedly leaves the bottle on the grass, and Codfix, who followed the heroes secretly, scoops it up. In the camp, Getafix brews a "Gaulish Soup", and Centurion, suspectiing poison, has Majestix and his men sample it. Of course, the soup is Magic Potion and the camp is in ruins shortly after. Once the heroic Gauls have left, the decidedly unheroic Codfix gives the Centurion the healing potion, causing the Roman to forget this injuries or who Codfix is. When he sees the damaged camp, the centurion believes that the Gauls have made an unprovoked attack, and decides to retaliate.
At the Divided Village, Getafix brews a second cauldron of Magic Potion, and it is placed in a house built over the ditch (More like, the ditch was built through the house!), with Asterix placed on guard duty. At night, though, Codfix sneaks into the village and takes Asterix by surprise, knocking our hero out and stealing the cauldron. The next morning, the Romans, having taken the Magic Potion, begin their assault. However, the mixture of different potions in their bodies have side-effects, such as causing them to inflate like balloons and shrinking in size. The Romans flee, but in the chaos Codfix has kidnapped Melodrama, leaving a note demanding a ransom of one hundred pounds of gold for her safety. With Dogmatix sniffing out the trail, Asterix, Obelix, and Histronix go to the rescue.
The trail leads to a river, where Codfix and Melodrama have met up with the Pirates, having given up on deep-sea looting. It doesn't take long before a fight between Histronix and Codfix breaks out, though with their potion-powered strength only the ship is damaged. However, Codfix's magic strength runs out ''just'' before Histronix, and the deceitful Gaul is punched all the way into the Legionary camp, who's Centurion has not forgotten the fishy Gaul this time.
Back at the village, the celebration of Melodrama's safe return is soured by the dispute of leadership. The two would-be chiefs have a duel to decide things, with Asterix as referee, but they're so evenly matched that it goes on through the night. Come morning, both men have fallen asleep standing up, but Asterix has a compromise- Histronix shall be chief, with Melodrama as his wife! Everyone approves, and with the dispute settled, Majestix and Cleverdix become friends. The a nearby river is diverted to fill the divide, the StarCrossedLovers have their wedding, and Codfix, most fittingly, has become the Roman camp's sole drudge, doing menial chores. All of them.
!!This album has examples of:
* AnimalMotif: Codfix looks like a...fish. A RunningGag is the costant allusions to fish.
* TheBardOnBoard: This story has many allusions to ''RomeoAndJuliet''. Even lampshaded when Obelix, after hearing Histrionix's story, bursts into tears;
-->'''Obelix:''' Sniff! I get all upset by love stories with unhappy endings! Sniff!\\
'''Asterix:''' But this story's only just beginning, and if Chief Vitalstatistix will let us, we're going to help Histrionix solve his problems!
* BoundAndGagged: Melodrama briefly.
* DamselInDistress: Melodrama towards the end, where Codfix kidnaps her and holds her ransom.
* DoubleMeaning: When Asterix, Obelix, and Getafix claim to be offering themselves as slaves to the Romans and promise to cook them a meal to show them their skills, Getafix' description of the menu is basically one long coded speech for "We're going to thump the hell out of you." Obelix [[DelayedReaction doesn't catch on until the violence actually begins.]]
-->'''Getafix:''' For starters, a fortifying soup.[[note]] Namely, magic potion for themselves and the Gaulish captives.[[/note]] The meat course... a really nice cut! Say chump chop, stewed in your... I mean, in its own juice. And we won't make a hash of it. If you fancy poultry, we can cook your goose for you! Game for anything? Then grouse and quail. After that, you get your desserts: a fool, well beaten, perhaps some instant whip, and a few raspberries. All washed down with the Gaulish beer we call wallop... it packs quite a punch!
* EveryoneHasStandards: Codfix offered Cleverdix's supporters to the Romans as slaves, but Majestix will not have ''any'' Gauls be slaves to Romans, even to become chief. Similarly, Cleverdix isn't comfortable with becoming chief after Majestix and his lot are captured.
* IdenticalPanelGag: Of the BookEnds sort; the beginning and end of the story have some kids picking apples from the hanging branch of a tree, while an old man protest from the other side of the ditch. The two panels are absolutely identical, dialog included, [[spoiler:except that in the second, the ditch is filed with water]].
* StarCrossedLovers: Histrionix and Melodrama.
* TakeAThirdOption: When even a duel fails to settle things, Asterix decides that the chief will be Histrionix, with Melodrama as his wife. Everyone approves.