Inspector General Overanixius decides that since the Gauls of Asterix's village can't be subdued, they should be isolated from the world, and has a giant wall built around the village. Asterix declares that not only will he escape, but also make a tour through all of Gaul, collecting [[RegionalSpeciality special foods]] from different spots as evidence; if he succeeds, Overanxius will take down the wall. With Obelix with him and the rest of the village as a diversion, the heroes make their break. What follows is a mad run around Gaul as Asterix and Obelix dodge Roman patrols. Eventually, they complete their rounds and return to the village to serve ''their'' special to Overanxius; an uppercut!
* CityInABottle: The Romans intend for the Gaul village to become this, building a huge wall to isolate them from the rest of the world. It is what prompts Asterix and Obelix to go on their quest.
* ContinuityNod: References to ''The Golden Sickle'' and ''The Gladiator'' are made.
* EarlyBirdCameo: Early on, a small, white dog with black spots starts following Asterix and Obelix around. Coincidentally, the next album would be the debut of Dogmatix.
* HeroStoleMyBike: To escape the Romans, Asterix and Obelix have to hijack a bystanders boat.
* TheHighwayman: Asterix and Obelix become victim of two of them while they are sleeping.
* HistoricalInJoke: A native of Massilia (Marseilles) threatens a Roman patrol not to disturb their bowling game or else there will be blood on the streets, riots, ''revolution'' - "we're thinking of writing a song about that".[[note]]Referring to ''La Marseillaise'', song of UsefulNotes/TheFrenchRevolution and national anthem of France[[/note]]
* HonestJohnsDealership: A used chariot dealer sells Astérix and Obélix a spanking-new ride with a strong black stallion... only problem is, the chariot falls apart within a few minutes, and the strong black stallion turns out to be a weakly white horse painted black, its paint washing off when it starts to rain.
* LostInTranslation: One of the reasons ''Asterix and the Banquet'' was the fifth ''Asterix'' book to appear in French but the twenty-third to appear in English was the translators' concern that the jokes based on French regional stereotypes (such as the inability of Normans to give a straight answer, the absurdly labyrinthine nature of Lyon's streets, the impossibly long traffic jams which stretch back from the Côte d'Azur at the beginning of every summer, the hot-blooded nature and penchant for exaggeration of the locals in Marseille, etc.) would make little sense to audiences outside France.
* MeaningfulName: The two treacherous Gauls that try to sell Asterix and Obelix out to the Romans are names, appropiately, Unpatriotix and Uptotrix.
* MistakenIdentity: Two robbers come across the sleeping Asterix and Obelix, and steal their bag containing all the items they collected so far. Unfortunately for them, since the robbers' physical stature matches that of Asterix and Obelix (a short guy and a tall fat guy) and since they now have the bag, the Romans mistake them for Asterix and Obelix and promptly arrest them.
* RunningGag: Dogmatix, who is not yet given a name here, serves as a literal RunningGag; from his first apperance in Lutetia, he keeps following Asterix and Obelix wherever they go, but they never notice him untill the very end of the story.
* ShoutOut: The original French title (''Le Tour de Gaule'') and the central plot are allusions to the TourDeFrance, with Obelix's bag referencing the yellow jersey worn by the leader.
* TamperingWithFoodAndDrink: Twice in the story, a fellow Gaul betrays Asterix and Obelix by putting a sedative in the wild boar he serves them and then sells them out to the Romans. The first time it works on Asterix and he is arrested, but Obelix frees him later. The second time, Asterix realizes something is up and forces his host [[HoistByHisOwnPetard to eat the boar instead]], confirming Asterix' suspicions when the host promptly falls asleep. Obelix does eat his boar, but somehow [[NoSell the sedative doesn't work]].
* VacationEpisode: Asterix and Obelix travels to various cities in Gaul, aka France.