* The episode "The Story of Whomps" is about T.J. inventing a substitute swear word ("whomps") so he wouldn't have to use a real bad word ([[InformedObscenity which led to the school board thinking it was an actual swear]] until the head of the school board agreed with T.J. that it was just a substitute swear word and that anyone who thinks it's obscene has a dirty mind).
* Open on Miss Grotke at the end of a lecture: "And that is what is meant by 'The Birds and the Bees'."
* "Parents' Night": The faux Spinellis (a biker couple that Spinelli hired to pose as her parents) ask Ms. Grotke for [[FrothyMugsOfWater "brews"]].
* "To Finster With Love" has Finster and the janitor, Hank, hook up. One of the shots in their FallingInLoveMontage involves Finster laughing happily while riding around on a vibrating floor buffer.
** While minor compared to most examples, there was also a fairly long cut of Finster starring at Hank's visible butt crack.
* From "The Great Jungle Gym Standoff":
-->'''Spinelli:''' Last one on Ole' Rusty has to give Ms. Finster a sponge bath!
-->'''Randall:''' Hey, that's my job!
** Here's another one from the same episode
-->'''T.J.:''' Ol' Rusty was here when my big brother was in school!
-->'''Spinelli:''' Ol' Rusty was here when my mom was in school!
-->'''Mikey:''' Heck, Ol' Rusty was here when my great-uncle Mary was in school!
-->'''Vince:''' Your uncle ''Mary?''
-->'''Gretchen:''' Don't ask.
** So either Mikey's great-uncle was a male-to-female transsexual or he was given a girl's name and (for reasons unknown) decided not to change it.
*** This can also double as a ShoutOut to TheDarkIsRising - "Over Sea Under Stone" begins with the kids visiting their Great-Uncle Merry.
* Principal Prickly's brother, a principal at another school, [[CompensatingForSomething boasts a much larger flagpole in front of his school.]]
-->'''Prickly:''' "Oh, that's just ''unseemly!''
* In "The Fuss Over Finster" when Miss Finster is being wheeled into an ambulance on a gurney, she is yelling at T.J. to "get those terrible thoughts" out of his head.
* In [[WesternAnimation/RecessSchoolsOut the movie]], after Mrs. Detweiller freaks out about T.J. accidentally [[RunningIntoTheWindow running into the sliding glass door]], she tells him to wait while she leaves to get "the baby thermometer and the petroleum jelly". If you find her choice of words baffling: petroleum jelly is used as a lubricant for [[AssShove rectal thermometers]].
* "First Name Ashley" contains an obvious ShoutOut to ''Film/AClockworkOrange'', a movie notorious for its depictions of extreme violence (both sexual and non-sexual) and premiered with an X rating (which, back in the early 1970s, was the equivalent of the modern-day R and NC-17 rating and was not associated with pornography, even though most movies rated X in the late 1960s into the 1970s did have sexual content that was too strong for the PG rating[[note]]remember: the PG-13 rating didn't come along until the mid-1980s. Prior to that, the American movie ratings were G, PG, and X[[/note]]).