'''Basic Trope''': Two (or more) characters are ''really'' friends, yet they cause a lot of problems to each other.
* '''Straight''': James and Sean are best friends, but they act like they hate each other.
* '''Exaggerated''': James and Sean are HeterosexualLifePartners, yet all they talk about is how much they loathe and despise each other.
** James and Sean sometimes argue.
** James and Sean have difficulty expressing affection.
** James and Sean are pretty much forced to be rivals because of competitive ideals, such as different sports teams or some clan or guild that are constantly non-violent rivals, that they hold, but they both know each other to be good people.
* '''Inverted''': [[FriendlyEnemies James and Sean are mortal enemies, but they act friendly towards each other]].
* '''Subverted''': It turns out that they were acting.
* '''Double Subverted''': They ''really'' have duels to the death.
** Everyone talks about what a great friendship James and Sean have while they attack each other in the street.
** James and Sean routinely set up death traps for each other, and sometimes gets the other seriously injured, but the two are BashBrothers, HeterosexualLifePartners, and every weekend work on a charity they both started.
* '''Zig Zagged''': James and Sean are friends but rather belligerent to each other. It was all an act. Except they put on the act because otherwise they would be serious about it.
* '''Averted''': James and Sean are competitive, but they make sure to ever let it get any worse than that.
** The producers fear James and Sean being seen as gay, so they make them violent to each other to avoid that.
** The writer wants to prove in a [[CrapsackWorld cynical setting]] that friendships aren't friendly as one would expect.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Are you two fighting again? I don't get why everybody calls you friends if you're always at each others necks."
** John feels Sean and James might get rusty in battle, so he arranges things so that they would have a reason to fight between themselves to keep their skills sharp.
** Alternatively: The BigBad plans on making clones of Sean and James because he wants to break them up, so John manipulates them so they would have no problems beating the other one up and think nothing of it.
* '''Exploited''': The BigBad uses this to push them into more violent rages, breaking their friendships.
* '''Defied''': "You know, if we keep acting like this, we're going to be serious threats to each other. Let's tone down the hostility."
* '''Discussed''': (As a response to Defied) "Well, to be fair, they say that you should [[KeepingTheEnemyClose keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.]] I guess that technically makes you my closest friend anyway, wether I like it or not."
* '''Conversed''': ???
** All of the arguments and problems that cause to each other end up culminating into James and Sean becoming actual enemies.
** James and Sean have a very twisted relationship. Despite being bitter and outright hateful towards eachother, they are also so co-dependent that they have no idea how to survive without the other. They go through multiple therapists because they are always told that they would be better off not being friends.
* '''Reconstructed''': The two remember all the good times they had and end up forgiving each other.
Back to WithFriendsLikeThese
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???