'''Basic Trope''': Two (or more) characters are "friends" but you wouldn't think that by the way they treat each other.
* '''Straight''': Alice and Bob are best friends, but they act like they hate each other.
* '''Exaggerated''': Alice and Bob are HeterosexualLifePartners, yet all they talk about is how much they loathe and despise each other.
** Alice and Bob sometimes argue.
** Alice and Bob have difficulty expressing affection.
** Alice and Bob are pretty much forced to be rivals because of competitive ideals, such as different sports teams or some clan or guild that are constantly non-violent rivals, that they hold, but they both know each other to be good people.
* '''Inverted''': [[FriendlyEnemy Alice and Bob are mortal enemies, but they act friendly towards each other]].
* '''Subverted''': It turns out that they were acting.
* '''Double Subverted''': They ''really'' have duels to the death.
** Everyone talks about what a great friendship Alice and Bob have while they attack each other in the street.
** Alice and Bob routinely set up death traps for each other, and sometimes gets the other seriously injured, but the two are BashBrothers, HeterosexualLifePartners, and every weekend work on a charity they both started.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Alice and Bob are friends but rather belligerent to each other. It was all an act. Except they put on the act because otherwise they would be serious about it.
* '''Averted''': Alice and Bob are competitive, but they make sure to ever let it get any worse than that.
** The producers fear Alice and Bob being seen as love interests, so they make them violent to each other to avoid that.
** The writer wants to prove in a [[CrapsackWorld cynical setting]] that friendships aren't friendly as one would expect.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Are you two fighting again? I don't get why everybody calls you friends if you're always at each others necks."
** Charlie feels Alice and Bob might get rusty in battle, so he arranges things so that they would have a reason to fight between themselves to keep their skills sharp.
** Alternatively: The BigBad plans on making clones of Alice and Bob because he wants to break them up, so Charlie manipulates them so they would have no problems beating the other one up and think nothing of it.
* '''Exploited''': The BigBad uses this to push them into more violent rages, breaking their friendships.
* '''Defied''': "You know, if we keep acting like this, we're going to be serious threats to each other. Let's tone down the hostility."
* '''Discussed''': (As a response to Defied) "Well, to be fair, they say that you should [[KeepingTheEnemyClose keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.]] I guess that technically makes you my closest friend anyway, whether I like it or not."
* '''Conversed''': "Should those two stop hating each other by now and act like true friends right now? It's been like what? 5 seasons?"
** All of the arguments and problems that cause to each other end up culminating into Alice and Bob becoming actual enemies.
** Alice and Bob have a very twisted relationship. Despite being bitter and outright hateful towards each other, they are also so co-dependent that they have no idea how to survive without the other. They go through multiple therapists because they are always told that they would be better off not being friends.
* '''Reconstructed''': The two remember all the good times they had and end up forgiving each other.
Back to WithFriendsLikeThese
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???