'''Basic Trope''': Common civilians screw over the heroes.
* '''Straight''': [[TheHero Hiro]], [[StrawberryShorthand I]][[ChildMage chi]][[LittleMissBadass go]], [[BoisterousBruiser Da]][[FragileSpeedster sh]], [[CombatMedic Kowa]][[TheSmartGuy lski]] and [[LadyOfWar Rac]][[DefrostingIceQueen hel]] are passing through the town of Redvale. That night, the innkeeper contacts [[TheEmperor Emperor Evulz']] [[FacelessGoons soldiers]], hoping to turn the heroes in and collect the bounty on their heads.
* '''Exaggerated''': While the heroes are sleeping, the mayor rallies the whole town to attack, overpower, and capture the unwary party.
* '''Downplayed''': Emperor Evulz shows up and asks the innkeeper which way the heroes went, and although the inkeeper isn't about to go out of his way to screw over the heroes, he tells him, "Thattaway."
** The villagers don't believe such a RagtagBunchOfMisfits could ''possibly'' defeat the Emperor, and believe they'd be better served by the reward money/getting in good with Evulz.
** The Mayor was appointed by Emperor Evulz, and knows that if the heroes ''succeed'', he'll lose his power and position.
** All the citizens of Redvale know is that there's a bounty on the group's heads; they aren't aware that it's because they're trying to save the world.
** When Redvale is attacked, Kowalski and Rachel argue that it's more pragmatic to escape and ensure their own survival than to risk their lives defending the town.
** The Heroes find themselves at the mercy of the Emperor, only for the [[HeroicBystander villagers to suddenly appear and manage to rescue the heroes and help them escape.]]
* '''Subverted''': Though the innkeeper recognizes Hiro and his band as outlaws wanted by the Emperor, he keeps silent, supporting their efforts to overturn the evil regime.
* '''Double Subverted''': The ''innkeeper'' doesn't betray them... but his '''son''' ''also'' recognizes them, and wants the reward.
* '''Parodied''': The heroes are abducted in their sleep and dragged into the forest, as part of an eccentric festival.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The innkeeper considers turning the heroes over, but balks at the thought of betraying his customers. However, the reward money is too tempting, since that much cash would allow him to move his family out of the empire. So he informs the Emperor, but only ''after'' luring Ichigo away from the group because he WouldntHurtAChild. When she comes back, he gloats about what he did, which turns out to be a ploy to tell her how to find them. Ichigo, being [[ChildMage quite powerful for her age]], manages to save the others -- and it's hinted [[XanatosGambit the innkeeper knew she was powerful enough to do this, and even if she failed, she'd still be safe and he'd still get the money]].
* '''Averted''': The town's people pay no attention to the heroes.
* '''Enforced''': "What's DarkerAndEdgier than heroes betrayed by the people they're trying to save?"
* '''Lampshaded''': "You townspeople suck! We're trying to help you!"
* '''Invoked''': Emperor Evulz learns that Hiro and his friends are in that area and sends his soldiers to interview the locals, offering vast rewards in exchange for any information leading to their capture.
* '''Exploited''': Emperor Evulz spreads rumors about untrustyworthy townpeople to make the heroes too paranoid to stay in towns, thereby denying them supplies and recruits.
* '''Defied''': The mayor of Redvale makes every concession possible to assure the heroes of their safety and imprisons anyone who ''thinks'' of betraying them.
* '''Discussed''': ???
* '''Conversed''': ???
** Without the heroes, Redvale is plundered and/or oppressed by Emperor Evulz and heroes leave it to burn.
** A few years after the incident, Hiro - now a FallenHero - destroys Redvale in a most gruesome manner as revenge.
** Once Emperor Evulz fell, the people of Redvale were [[DisproportionateRetribution executed swiftly]] by the [[BigGood Emperor Reginald]] for betraying the heroic cause and [[UnPerson were wiped from the annals of history]]; thus, his [[StartOfDarkness fall from grace]] was a beginning of a new problem the heroes must face.
** The townspeople bitterly cut off Hiro's attempt at ShamingTheMob by revealing that many of them were refugees from other reprisals of Emperor Evulz -- reprisals that came as a result of believing in their ability to stand up to the emperor as long as they believed in themselves and wandering plucky heroes like him.\\
Eventually, this causes Hiro to shoot back by simply telling them that [[ItIsBeyondSaving they are beyond saving]] and proceeding to [[LetThemDie leave them to their deaths]] by telling them that, should they survive, they will get a [[HeelFaceDoorSlam bitter taste]] [[LaserGuidedKarma of their own medicine]] once Evulz dies. After Evulz finally bites it, Redvale gets torched to the ground by the forces of good for treason.
* '''Reconstructed''': Though Redvale's betrayal shakes the team to their core, Hiro becomes even more determined to liberate the region so that they won't live in such fear and feel they ''have'' to hurt heroes anymore. And once the region is saved, Redvale is [[HeelFaceDoorSlam now being mistrusted]] by all the other towns in the region for [[RewardedAsATraitorDeserves betraying the heroes]], due to Dash revealing such betrayal once Evulz was destroyed. Dash [[HatedHometown never liked Redvale growing up]], believing it deserves what it gets.
* '''Played For Drama''': Redvale is Dash's hometown, forcing her to choose between helping her TrueCompanions or turning on the party and standing with the people she grew up with.
Back to WhatTheHellTownspeople
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???