'''Basic Trope''': Human life is treated as more important than non-human life.
* '''Straight''': A hero who espouses ThouShaltNotKill has no problem destroying robots, zombies, aliens, and animals.
* '''Exaggerated''': Humanity wages an all out extermination of nonhumans without a word of protest.
** Our heroes are willing to kill both humans and nonhumans, but they are willing to use sneak attacks and other dirty tricks that they would never use against human foes.
** Killing robots is considered murder but verbal abuse is considered normal towards robots.
** The non-humans are shown as being irredeemably evil.
** [[HumansAreBastards Humans are speciecist bastards]].
** The particular non-humans in question (e.g. robots, zombies) cannot suffer, so the hero has no problem killing them.
** Even though the aliens may be sentient, the humans don't know that, and think they're nothing more than animals.
** Non-humans ''are'' mindless, soulless animals[=/=]automatons.
** "[[HellIsThatNoise You hear them howling, right]]? Back when [[ZombieApocalypse all this]] started, we used to think it was their Mendulla Oblongatta hadn't shut down, making them mindlessly vocalize. [[FromBadToWorse It ain't that]]. [[AndIMustScream It's horror at what they've become]], the [[TechnicallyLivingZombie pain of rotting flesh]]. [[ForcedToWatch The final memories of being torn apart]] [[BrainFood stored in the brains they eat]]. [[NoZombieCannibals They won't kill each other]]; [[ICannotSelfTerminate they can't kill themselves]]. [[MercyKill That's where we come in.]] Welcome to the Undertakers".
** The non-humans in question being killed are effectively the equivalent of a human bastard. When Bob kills a group of non-humans, Alice objects but Bob quickly rattles off a list of what horrible things they believed in and telling her events that happened as proof of the line of thought. Alice later sees the same species of non-humans working together with humans without conflict, Bob even talking to a few in a friendly manner.
* '''Inverted''': Human lives are casually thrown away, but killing a robot is considered murder.
** Non-humans aren't killed, but are instead taken to a place where they can live together free of human oppression.
** The hero has no problem crushing a robot's head... But that's because the only thing the head contains is sensory apparatus, which, while necessary in combat, isn't vital to the robot's overall survival and can easily be replaced.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** ...But that turns out to be a front for turning them into slave labor or SoylentGreen.
** As the robot fumbles around, blind, deaf, and terrified, it falls off a cliff. The hero doesn't care.
* '''Parodied''': There's an elaborate system of value attached to creatures based on how human they are, which is consulted by the characters when deciding whom to kill.
* '''Zig Zagged''': The value placed on nonhuman life varies greatly with the nonhuman. [[Creator/HPLovecraft Mi-Go]] are killed on sight, Greys are conceded equals, Demons are considered second-class citizens, etc...
* '''Averted''': All (sentient) life is treated as equally valuable.
* '''Enforced''': Childrens' programming is not allowed to show people being killed, so there has to be something for the heroes to shoot at.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Would you still have killed him if he had been a human?"
* '''Invoked''': "Look, nobody cares about those robots. We can kill them all we want".
* '''Exploited''': [[BigBad Emperor Evulz]] keeps all the robots or undead back at the base doing menial things, and commands only humans to attack heroes, in hopes of exploiting the higher value they put on human life.
** A human character refuses to kill non-humans on the grounds that they are just as good as everyone else.
** A human character is willing to kill non-humans, but makes it perfectly clear that they'd also kill humans without hesitation under similar circumstances.
** "I don't see [[HumansAreSpecial what makes a Human more of a person]] than [[TheGreys Greys]] or [[PettingZooPeople Kitts]]. Or '[[FantasticRacism even]]' [[NotUsingTheZedWord Returners]] or [[MechaMooks Metalfolk]]. We are the good guys, and we will act like it. [[PunctuatedForEmphasis Now. Set. For.]] [[AsLethalAsItNeedsToBe Stun.]]"
* '''Discussed''': "Of course we can kill him! He's NotEvenHuman!"
* '''Conversed''': "All the slaughter in this show is fairly gruesome, but I guess they get away with it because they're not killing humans".
* '''Deconstructed''': The non-humans [[TurnedAgainstTheirMasters rebel against their human oppressors]].
** ...And then they start treating humans the same way they were treated.
** The non-humans are beaten and the uprising used as the justification for a fresh round of oppression.
* '''Plotted A Good Waste''':
** The hero has been killing what they think are aliens... but turn out to be humans modified by the hero's own government to provide a convenient enemy.
** The hero is [[WhatTheHellHero called out]] on this bit of MoralDissonance by somebody later on... and he has no answer beyond "but they're aliens!"
Back to WhatMeasureIsANonHuman
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???