'''Basic Trope''': A character doesn't care if their underlings die, since they can easily replace them.
** General Bob orders his soldiers to charge a heavily fortified location, knowing that they will certainly all die.
** General Bob asks for an artillery strike that will hit both the enemy and his own troops.
* '''Exaggerated''': General Bob is willing to depopulate his entire nation in order to win a single battle.
** Bob's soldiers are expendable in the sense [[UriahGambit that they need to be expended as quickly as possible]] [[ExplosiveBreeder due to massive overpopulation.]]
** General Bob accepts some casualties, understanding that it's unavoidable.
** The soldiers in question are clones(like in Star Wars), Robots(again, like in star wars), zombies or other creatures that aren't really alive or sentient in the correct sense of the term(MAYBE except for clones, depending on the setting) and can be easily mass-produced, wich means that even if Bob sacrifices 50% of his entire army, he could easily replace them in no time.
** [[GodzillaThreshold It's either this or the End of Everything]].
** General Bob is uncaring about the deaths of his men because he is TheStoic.
** General Bob's soldiers are MechaMooks that can be [[WhatMeasureIsANonHuman replaced quickly and cheaply]].
* '''Inverted''': [[AFatherToHisMen General Bob cares so much about his soldiers that he would rather lose the war than see them killed]].
** General Bob starts with this attitude, but once he sees that WarIsHell, he starts to care far more about his men.
** General Bob initially appears to not care when his soldiers die, but is later shown [[DrowningMySorrows drowning his sorrows]], suffering from BadDreams, or otherwise [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone mourning the deaths of his men]].
* '''Double Subverted''': ...but then it turns he was [[GeneralRipper just pretending to mourn them so people would stop criticizing him for being too callous]].
* '''Parodied''': General Bob sacrifices a million soldiers [[MustHaveCaffeine just to get himself a cup of coffee]], and then sends a million more out [[SillyReasonForWar because he doesn't have any cream for his coffee]].
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob [[GeneralRipper doesn't particularly care about the lives of his men]], but he's also [[TheAce a skilled enough commander]] that [[MaryTzu he can make it through battles without taking heavy casualties anyway]].
* '''Averted''': General Bob does not treat his men as completely expendable. This [[AFatherToHisMen may]] or [[PragmaticVillainy may not]] necessarily entail being AFatherToHisMen.
* '''Enforced''': The author wants to show that WarIsHell.
* '''Lampshaded''': "I don't care if my soldiers die; that's their job."
** An EvilChancellor deliberately places General Bob in command of the army to kill off the soldiers loyal to the King.
** TheEmpire teaches its officers to see their soldiers as expendable.
* '''Exploited''': Bob's enemies continually encourage his men to desert, and they're only too willing to accept the offer; after all, it's not like they could be treated any worse as [=POWs=] than they are as soldiers.
* '''Defied''': TheFederation teaches its officers to value the lives of their troops, and to try to win with as few casualties as possible.
* '''Discussed''': "The General really doesn't care how many of his own soldiers die [[GloryHound as long he gets to proclaim victory at the end of the battle]]."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Implied''': In the [[FreezeFrameBonus background in a few scenes]], you can see computer screens displaying the army's total strength, which is plummeting rapidly.
** General Bob's willingness to let his army take massive casualties results in his nation running out of fighting men and costing them the war.
** General Bob's callousness results in morale plummeting to rock bottom, and most of his soldiers desert or defect. This eventually results in either General Bob being court-martialed or one of his former troops [[KarmicDeath killing him]] [[MistreatmentInducedBetrayal for such cruelty]].
* '''Reconstructed''': General Bob's tactics, costly though they are, are demoralizing enough to the enemy that they [[PeaceConference sue for peace]], preventing the war from dragging on and killing ''more'' people on both sides.
Back to WeHaveReserves, men, [[SelfDemonstratingArticle and I don't care how many of you die to get us there]]!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???