'''Basic Trope''': A character doesn't care if his[=/=]her underlings die, since he/she can easily replace them.
** General Bob orders his soldiers to charge a heavily fortified location, knowing that they will certainly all die.
** General Bob asks for an artillery strike that will hit both the enemy and his own troops.
* '''Exaggerated''': General Bob is willing to depopulate his entire nation in order to win a single battle.
* '''Downplayed''': General Bob accepts some casualties, understanding that it's unavoidable.
** [[GodzillaThreshold It's either this or the End of Everything.]]
** General Bob is uncaring about the deaths of him men because he is TheStoic.
** General Bob's soldiers are MechaMooks that can be replaced quickly and cheaply.
* '''Inverted''': [[AFatherToHisMen General Bob cares so much about his soldiers that he would rather lose the war than see them killed.]]
** General Bob starts with this attitude, but once he sees that WarIsHell, he starts to care far more about his men.
** General Bob initially appears to not care when his soldiers die, but is later shown [[DrowningMySorrows drowning his sorrows]], suffering from BadDreams, or otherwise mourning the deaths of his men.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...but then it turns he was just pretending to mourn them so people would stop criticizing him for being too callous.
* '''Parodied''': General Bob sacrifices a million soldiers just to get himself a cup of coffee, and then sends a million more out because he doesn't have any cream for his coffee.
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
* '''Averted''': General Bob does not treat his men as completely expendable. This may or may not necessarily entail being AFatherToHisMen.
* '''Enforced''': The author wants to show that WarIsHell.
* '''Lampshaded''': "I don't care if my soldiers die; that's their job."
** An EvilChancellor deliberately places General Bob in command of the army to kill off the soldiers loyal to the King.
** TheEmpire teaches its officers to see their soldiers as expendable.
* '''Exploited''': Bob's enemies continually encourage his men to desert, and they're only too willing to accept the offer; after all, it's not like they could be treated any worse as [=POWs=] than they are as soldiers.
* '''Defied''': TheFederation teaches its officers to value the lives of their troops, and to try to win with as few casualties as possible.
* '''Discussed''': "The General really doesn't care how many of his own soldiers die, as long he gets to proclaim victory at the end of the battle."
* '''Conversed''': ???
** General Bob's willingness to let his army take massive casualties results in his nation running out of fighting men and costing them the war.
** General Bob's callousness results in morale plummeting to rock bottom, and most of his soldiers desert or defect. This eventually results in either General Bob being court-martialed or one of his former troops [[KarmicDeath killing him]] [[MistreatmentInducedBetrayal for such cruelty]]
* '''Reconstructed''': General Bob's tactics, costly though they are, are demoralizing enough to the enemy that they [[PeaceConference sue for peace]], preventing the war from dragging on and killing ''more'' people on both sides.
Back to WeHaveReserves
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???