'''Basic Trope''': If TheHero goes down, it's an instant GameOver.
* '''Straight''': [[TheHero Hiro]] falls in battle. Companions [[CuteWitch Morgana]], [[KnightInShiningArmor Kelvin]] and [[MysteriousWaif Mana]] are still standing, but the game still instantly ends.
* '''Exaggerated''': Hiro falls in battle. Mana could [[HealingHands revive him]], and the party has plenty of healing items to get him back on his feet, but the battle still ends instantly. GameOver.
** Hiro falls in battle, and a countdown appears over his head. If he is not revived in that time, the battle ends. GameOver.
** Hiro falls in battle, and his companions immediately pick him up and hightail it off the field.
** The game is from Hiro's point of view; if he dies, his point of view ends.
** Or Hiro is BlessedWithSuck and revival magic simply doesn't ''work'' on him.
** Everyone else was created by Hiro's using his overabundance of soul. If he dies they simply fade away.
** Everyone is subject to FinalDeath, including Hiro, so there's no way to revive him if he dies, and no way the story can go on without him.
** All the party members are mercenaries: if Hiro dies, there's no one around to pay them, and thus no reason for them to continue to fight.
** Hiro needs a party to stay alive. If they all die he dies. If he dies he'll get back up in a few rounds.
* '''Subverted''': Hiro falls, you get a game over screen... but the other party members [[NoFourthWall complain loudly enough]] that the InteractiveNarrator says "Fine! Fight without him!"
* '''Double Subverted''': ...Once the fight ''ends'', however, it's still NonStandardGameOver.
* '''Parodied''': Every time Hiro [[OneHitPointWonder trips over his own feet or touches anything that might even ''hurt'' him...]] it's game over.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Sometimes, when Hiro falls, the battle goes on; sometimes the battle falls and it's all about random chance.
* '''Averted''': Hiro can be revived during battle with no ill effects.
* '''Enforced''': It's a form of FakeDifficulty.
* '''Lampshaded''': "Oh no, you're not going to die, are you? We'll have to start all over again!"
* '''Invoked''': Hiro kills himself on purpose because he wants to save his teammates and as soon as he dies, the battle will end, keeping them safe.
* '''Exploited''': Hiro skips straight to the villain fight and kills him. The villain's henchmen give up immediately.
* '''Defied''': Hiro stays far away from any enemy because he knows the battle will end if he is killed.
* '''Discussed''': "Oh no, Hiro is falling! [[BigNo NOOO!]] The battle is over!"
* '''Conversed''': "I have plenty of reasons to go on and yet the game ends whenever that stupid weak character Hiro falls!"
* '''Deconstructed''': Hiro's companions go to any length, '''[[TheUnfettered any length]]''', to prevent his death, to the point where he can't do anything because he's being overprotected by his fearful teammates.
* '''Reconstructed''': Because his companions are so overprotective, Hiro tries very hard to escape them and kill enemies. He finally manages so, but he dies himself... '''Game over'''.
* '''Played For Laughs:''' If Hiro falls in battle, Morgana [[LeaningOnTheFourthWall berates the player by screaming at his body]] about what an idiot he was to go down like that.
* '''Played For Drama:''' Because Hiro has fallen, his allies immediately stop fighting and the enemies are able to slaughter every single one of them. If only Hiro had stayed alive, the good forces would have won in the final battle against the BigBad.
[[WeCannotGoOnWithoutYou We cannot go back to the main page without you.]] None of us have a mouse to click the link with!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???