'''Basic Trope''': A monster who used to be human.
* '''Straight''': "[[TheDreaded The Evil Thing]]" used to be Bob Throperz, an ordinary man.
** All monsters were once humans.
** "The Evil Thing" is a horrifying EldritchAbomination whose true form cannot be even comprehended by humans. Yet, The Evil Thing was once Bob, a RidiculouslyAverageGuy.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob becoming Alice is treated as this.
** This is the only way new monsters can be created.
** The BigBad [[YouHAveFailedMe converts humans into monsters as punishment]] and uses them as shock troops.
** Bob [[TragicMonster ran afoul of something that horribly mutated his body, but left his mind intact.]] [[TheGrotesque His new form]] is hideous enough that he's usually attacked on sight, but it's also ImmuneToBullets.
** Bob was infected by TheCorruption.
* '''Inverted''': Bob is a [[HumanityEnsues human who used to be a monster]].
* '''Subverted''': The Evil Thing was always a monster.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...Or so everyone thinks. It turns out The Evil Thing is so far gone it doesn't even remember being a man.
** Bob gets turned into a cute bunny rabbit. Or, a friendly monster character mentions in passing that it used to be human, but didn't much like it.
** The monster [[ExactWords was once named "A. Man"]], but had it legally changed.
** "The Evil Thing" [[WesternAnimation/InvaderZim insists it was once a man, despite clearly being a woman]].
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob keeps repeatedly changing between his human form and his monster form.
** Bob stays human.
** No monsters were previously human.
* '''Enforced''': The writers wanted to give a psychological aspect to the horror by having it being once a man.
* '''Lampshaded''': "That thing... it wasn't always like this."
* '''Invoked''': Bob does everything he needs to do to become "The Evil Thing".
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Knowing that there is a very real chance that he may turn into a monster, Bob seeks to prevent it.
* '''Discussed''': "Oh my god... now we know what happened to Bob."
* '''Conversed''': "In stories like this, the most inhuman monsters were all once humans."
Back to WasOnceAMan
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???