'''Basic Trope''': Two best friends fighting, but still care for each other.
* '''Straight''': [[DeadpanSnarker Steve]] and [[NiceGuy Pete]] are best friends despite the fact that they constantly insult and berate each other.
** Steve and Pete are inseparable, despite the fact that they're always trying to kill each other.
* '''Downplayed''': Pete and Steve often insult each other even though the mutually respect each other.
** Steve and Pete are always making creative insults to one another, but only because they both know the other one won't get offended, allowing them to make insults as creative as possible.
** Steve really does care about Pete, but is too proud to admit it, or thinks that friendship causes him [[VirtueIsWeakness to become "weak"]].
** Steve and Pete are good friends, but their polarizing views, interests, or cultures can cause them to butt heads a lot.
** Steve and Pete's egos get in the way of them being friends.
* '''Inverted''': FriendlyEnemy
** Despite his usual nature, Steve is nice to Pete whenever they're together...
** It seems that there is friendship hidden deep down under Steve and Pete's insults, until they sell each other out in there time of need.
* '''Double Subverted''': For a month. After that, he's up to his old tricks, yet Pete loves him like a brother anyway.
* '''Parodied''': Steve and Pete hate each others' guts. Everyone around them interprets this as a sign of how close they are.
* '''Zig Zagged''':
** Steve and Pete start out insulting each other, but end up starting to genuinely care for one another, which causes them to insult each other even more.
** Steve begins their relationship by insulting and taunting Pete whenever he gets the chance, but eventually becomes friends with him for real. He continues to insult Pete, but Pete is not offended since he knows that Steve doesn't mean it.
* '''Averted''': Steve and Pete are never berating each other.
* '''Enforced''': "Let's make these characters different from your average goody-goody [[TrueCompanions bunch of friends]]. Hey! What if they act like they hate each other?"
** "How can two people who insult each other so much be so friendly?"
** "They act like mortal enemies, but that's how their friendship goes."
* '''Invoked''': Steve is an unrepentant DeadpanSnarker. Friends are no exception.
* '''Exploited''': Steve and Pete are captured by villains. They start arguing and fighting to distract the guards, and then beat up the guards. (They may or may not continue to bicker ''while'' beating up the guards.)
* '''Defied''': Steve and Pete decide to always be nice to each other, despite their differing natures and actions towards those around them.
* '''Discussed''': "Why does Steve and Pete insult each other like that?" "Oh, they're just being Steve and Pete."
* '''Conversed''': "You think Steve and Pete would be nicer to each other, as inseparable as they are."
** Steve and Pete start off as friends but their continuous fighting and mutual abuse eventually drives them apart.
** They both feel legitimately hurt by their fighting.
** Their constant fighting with one another is not only brutal, but treated as a sign that one or both of them are mentally ill and/or have a twisted morality.
* '''Reconstructed''': Steve and Pete are friends who go through rough periods of bitterness and anger, but this only reinforces their appreciation for one another, since they know they can be totally and completely honest with one another.
* '''Played For Drama''': [[OOCIsSeriousBusiness Pete doesn't snipe back.]]
Just go back to VitriolicBestBuds, you little moron. ...You know I don't mean that, right?
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???