'''Basic Trope''': VideoGame [[VideoGameCrueltyPotential lets players do horrible things]], [[KarmaMeter but these actions have consequences]].
* '''Straight''': [[PlayerCharacter Dirk]] [[KickTheDog kicks]] [[TheCutie Ichigo's]] [[CuteKitten adorable kitten Fluffles]] [[ForTheEvulz just because he can]]. [[BadassAdorable Ichigo responds via giant]] [[StrawberryShorthand strawberry-shaped]] [[KillItWithFire fireball]].
* '''Exaggerated''': Dirk kicks Ichigo's adorable kitten Fluffles -- who immediately turns into a hissing whirlwind of DEATH and chases him around while Ichigo and the rest of the party [[WhatTheHellHero insult and berate]] him. Then, '''after''' Fluffles has her way with him, Ichigo blows him up. [[NonstandardGameOver And]] [[LeaningOnTheFourthWall glares at the screen while scolding his body]] [[YouBastard about how horrible and OMG MEAN he was, and who'd do such a thing to a sweet little kitty anyway?!]]
* '''Downplayed''': Fluffles bites you, as cats tend to when they're attacked.
* '''Justified''': You were ''warned'' beforehand that Ichigo was [[BewareTheNiceOnes not to be trifled with]]; doing so was an act of StupidEvil.
** You are actually ''rewarded'' for being as evil as possible.
** Or you are punished for being good.
* '''Subverted''': You are warned that you'll be punished if you kick Fluffles, but when Dirk does, nothing bad happens to him.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...Until he's in trouble later on, and [[UnwinnableByDesign Ichigo decides not to help him because he was so mean and nasty earlier, leaving him to his fate]].
** Fluffles displays GlowingEyesOfDoom, and we are then treated to a long distance shot of a nuclear explosion.
** The video game makes the television sprout a hand and proceeds to slap the player who's sitting on the couch while scolding him for being cruel.
* '''Zig Zagged''': There are punishments for some actions, none for others. Some punishments seem completely over-the-top, while others seem like little more than a slap on the wrist. And certain things come back to bite Dirk when the player least expects it...
* '''Averted''': Nothing bad happens to you even though you are hitting innocent villagers with your sword for fun.
* '''Enforced''': The programmers want to ensure players know that [[DepartmentOfRedundancyDepartment bad behavior is bad]].
* '''Lampshaded''': "What?! You really thought karma wouldn't bite you in the ass if you did such an obviously despicable thing?"
* '''Invoked''': "Maybe I'll get a funny NonstandardGameOver if I burn down the orphanage!"
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': "No, we are not punishing the player if there's no logical reason for such a punishment to take place. If he wants to shoot a villager, don't make the villager pull a bazooka on him."
* '''Discussed''': "Dude, going nuts with the [[MoreDakka minigun]] in the crowded village square? Bad idea. Something bad's probably going to happen if you do."
* '''Conversed''': "I'm sorry a few civilians got killed, but why does the mission have to end immediately? That stolen mecha prototype is still out there!"
* '''Deconstructed''': The nation you've been torturing with your kingly/godly power by selling off all the crops for insane prices and then executing random people who spoke against you decides they've had enough and rebel. They then throw you in the darkest prison cell and torture you out of spite, [[NonStandardGameOver prematurely ending the game.]]
* '''Reconstructed''': ...However, you still can get out of prison. [[GuideDangIt It isn't easy nor intuitive]], and you'll have a limp, a scar, and/or some other reminder of your crimes [[SlidingScaleOfGameplayAndStoryIntegration which will negatively affect your stats]], through the rest of the game. So it IS possible to complete the game even after being cruel; it's just more difficult. ([[SelfImposedChallenge which some players might even dig]])
* '''Played For Laughs''': All the consequences are hilariously over-the-top (leading players to actively seek them out, which may be partly defeating the purpose, but eh...).
* '''Played For Drama''': The BigBad of the setting is a [[SealedEvilInACan sealed]] godlike EldritchAbomination that gets more powerful every time someone commits an act of cruelty, and no, raising your KarmaMeter by doing good deeds [[HeelFaceDoorSlam won't erase your past evils]]. Do enough evil, and said BigBad gets powerful enough to break free, and [[NonstandardGameOver immediately shows up to]] [[EvilIsNotAToy "reward" you for your contribution to his new reign of terror]].
Your request for parole has been:\\
( ) APPROVED '''(x) DENIED'''\\
Back to the VideoGameCrueltyPunishment page, you [[Memes/TheElderScrolls criminal scum]]!
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???