'''Basic Trope''': A character raises a child to not act like another character.
* '''Straight''': After John dies in battle, before his son, Bob, is born, Jane raises Bob far away from military installations and does not tell him anything about his father's military career.
* '''Exaggerated''': Jane raises Bob in the LostWoods, so ''no one'' could tell him anything about the military.
* '''Downplayed''': Jane tells Bob about the military, some local installations, and some relatives who were in the military (obviously not including John), but that's it.
** Jane is terrified that Bob will die, too.
* '''Inverted''': Jane eagerly tries to mold Bob into acting just like John.
** It looks like Jane is trying to raise Bob to be different, but then it turns out that she is subtly trying to mold him into John.
** John was the BigBad. Jane raises Bob to be good.
* '''Double Subverted''':
** Except then she's not.
** John was the BigBad Jane raises Bob to be evil.
* '''Parodied''': John was an ice cream salesman, and Jane lives in morbid fear that Bob will be - gasp! - an ice cream man as well.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Whenver Bob does something, Jane immediately compares it to what John would do. Then she decides whether to encourage or discourage it based on how well it worked for John.
* '''Averted''': Jane is okay with him being whatever he wants to when he grows up.
* '''Enforced''': Turns out John wasn't dead at all, just alienated from Bob by Jane; he sues her for primary custody, wins, and raises his son to be just like him.
* '''Lampshaded''': "My mom was always scared I'd turn out like my dad. I guess it makes sense. I mean, he died."
* '''Invoked''': "Do you think maybe your mom is terrified you'll turn out like your dad?"
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': "Nah."
* '''Discussed''': "The chances are that Jane will raise Bob to be different from his father."
* '''Conversed''': "TheHero will never turn out evil like his father. His mother always brings him up to be different."
* '''Deconstructed''': Jane's pathological need to [[MyBelovedSmother control Bob]] is part guilt over how she treated John, part making her son wholly her own, and results Bob revolting and fleeing her. To join the army.
* '''Reconstructed''': She has, however, installed in him some sense, so that while he turns a soldier, he is less headstrong and survives.
Back to TurnOutLikeHisFather
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???