'''Basic Trope''': A mentor who uses trickery and subversion to teach their students.
* '''Straight''': Men-Tor guides the FiveManBand, though instead of actively helping, he prefers to disseminate information through riddles.
* '''Exaggerated''': Literally everything Men-Tor says is some sort of riddle.
* '''Downplayed''': Men-tor is generally a straightforward teacher, but laces his training with riddles that must be understood to get the most out of it.
** He's there to train their minds as much as their bodies.
** Mentor is so good that his knowledge and mastery turned him insane.
* '''Inverted''': Men-Tor is as literal as possible, directly spelling out what the FiveManBand needs to do.
* '''Subverted''': The group comes up to Men-Tor, expecting him to throw out a cryptic riddle for them to solve. Instead, he just tells them what they need to do, no questions asked.
* '''Double Subverted''': That in and of itself was a riddle - a SecretTestOfCharacter of sorts to get them to question everything.
* '''Parodied''': Men-Tor doesn't actually know what he's talking about - he later admits that he makes up silly riddles to sound wiser than he really is... HOWEVER, his students ''always'' manage to learn a valuable (yet [[AccidentalAesop unintentional) lesson]] on the process!
* '''Zig Zagged''': Some of the stuff he says is a riddle, other stuff isn't. He figures that's the best way to keep them on their toes.
* '''Averted''': He's direct.
** "We've got to pad this story arc out to the number of episodes we want...so how about we make it to where they have to spend a few episodes decoding their mentor's instructions?"
** "Aw hell, I don't like coming up with explanations. How about we make the mentor give these really vague riddles, and then the fandom will guess as to the meanings? [[SureWhyNot Then we run with it and act like we meant that all along.]]"
* '''Lampshaded''': "Why can't you just tell us what we need to do?"
* '''Invoked''':*Men-tor decides to start speaking in riddles, as he believes only those who are tolerant enough to withstand his riddles are worthy of his knowledge.
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': TheHero of the FiveManBand tells Men-Tor that no riddles will be tolerated.
* '''Discussed''': "I like Sen-Sei's teaching. He's not like my old teacher Men-Tor who spoke in riddles all the time."
* '''Conversed''': "You ever notice how mentor figures in the movies can never give a straight answer to anything?"
** Men-Tor's reliance on riddles drives away his students, as they dislike having to decode everything he's telling them.
** Due to Men-Tor's misinterpreted instructions, lack of guidance, or questionable teaching methods, several of his students get badly hurt or die.
* '''Reconstructed''': The FiveManBand calls him on it - and it's revealed that not only did they have to solve the riddle, but they needed to have the appropriate reaction to be his students.
Back to TricksterMentor
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???