'''Basic Trope''': A character discovers they're not what they thought they were.
* '''Straight''': [[TheCape Adele]] has been fighting invading aliens called [[EldritchAbomination Kschorkians - ]] only to discover that she is a [[BecomingTheMask deluded]] Kschorkian [[HumanoidAbomination in disguise.]]
** Not only is Adele a Kschorkian in disguise, but [[FlockOfWolves so is every human on the Earth]].
** Adele is actually the [[BigBad Void King]] [[AmnesiacDissonance who has erased its memory]] [[MemoryGambit and entered into the human society to undermine it from the inside.]]
** Adele discovers that she is actually a Kschorkian - and decides it doesn't matter, she's still going to [[HumanityIsInfectious keep fighting for humanity.]]
** Adele had been told that she had links to Kschorkians, but she never thought about the possibility about her actually ''being'' a member of them.
* '''Justified''': Adele's role as a spy required for her to under go brainwashing to make her cover as realsitic as possible.
* '''Inverted''': A Kschorkian turns out to be a human.
** It is [[ForeShadowing heavily]] [[RedHerring implied]] throughout the series that Adele is a Kschorkian - but, when put to the test, it proves that she is actually human.
** Adele looks in the mirror, and sees a Kschorkian, and her friends think this is a TomatoInTheMirror - but she's actually fully aware of what she is, and has only been waiting for a chance to turn on her 'friends.'
* '''Double Subverted''':
** ...But then it turns out later that Adele faked the test because she was afraid of what the answer might be, and she's really a Kschorkian.
** ...Or Adele is only pretending to have been a conscious spy to cover up her horror at the revelation.
* '''Parodied''': Adele looks in the mirror - and it turns out she's a tomato. Literally.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Adele is implied to be a Kschorkian, and then it turns out she's not. But then it [[RetCon turns out]] she faked the test, and she's actually a Kschorkian. And then it turns out that that was a ruse by [[EvilCounterpart Bridgette]] to trick Adele. [[ArmedWithCanon And then it turns out that]] Adele is indeed a Kschorkian, and Bridgette's ruse was unnecessary.
** Adele is just a human, and there's never any question of her having been a Kschorkian.
** Adele is a Kschorkian, but she and everyone else knew this, so it didn't have to be revealed.
* '''Enforced''': "The audience believes Adele is really a Kschorkian, so let's go with that!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "Oh, god, I'm a Kschorkian. I don't believe this. If this was a TV show, I'd call it a [[DeusAngstMachina cheap piece of drama!"]]
* '''Invoked''': The group fighting Kschorkians performs a test on all members to see if any are secretly Kschorkians; especially the ones with dubious memories.
* '''Exploited''': An enemy of Adele's reveals she is a Kschorkian so that they have a chance to kill her while she goes into HeroicBSOD.
* '''Defied''': Adele deliberately chooses never to test whether she's Kschorkian or human, because she doesn't want this to happen.
* '''Discussed''': "I think one of us is a Kschorkian and doesn't even know it!"
* '''Conversed''': "With all the twists and turns that have happened on this show, I wouldn't be surprised if Adele was a Kschorkian."
* '''Implied''': "A notice to all staff: There is a Kschorkian among us. We have reason to believe that they are not hostile, however several groups will be cut off from information until anything can be confirmed."
* '''Played for Drama''':
** The revelation that Adele is a Kschorkian all along shakes the faith of her erstwhile allies and tears them apart as each of them wonder who else is a Kschorkian.
** Adele is torn between loyalty to her people or to her human friends and allies.
Back to TomatoInTheMirror
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???