'''Basic Trope''': More force is used than necessary to kill something.
* '''Straight''': Shooting an unarmed person with a minigun, then setting him on fire, then [[ArsonMurderAndJaywalking punching him]] [[GroinAttack in the balls]].
** Running someone over in a tank, then backing up, shooting them with [[MoreDakka 17 miniguns at once]], and then covering the entire area in napalm.
** Killing a fly with the '''[[Franchise/StarWars Death]] [[EarthShatteringKaboom Star]]''' and that's after you cut it to pieces and electrocuted it.
** [[SummonBiggerFish Summoning]] '''[[EldritchAbomination Cthulhu]]''' to kill someone.
** A character uses an AK-47 when a pistol would be more appropriate.
** CoupDeGrace, DoubleTap or FinishingStomp on a downed target.
** The victim is [[MadeOfIron extremely hard to kill]].
** Alternatively, the attacker '''really''' [[ThatOneBoss hates the victim]].
** The victim is so dangerous that the attacker wants to make sure that he stays down for good.
** Using the [[CherryTapping least amount of force necessary]] to get the job done.
** [[OnceIsNotEnough Not doing the job properly.]]
* '''Subverted''': TheProtagonist packs a minigun for an assault on the BigBad's fortress, but switches it to semi-automatic mode.
* '''Double Subverted''': ...he failed to realize that miniguns (and other gattling guns) don't have semi-automatic modes by definition and ends up reducing everything to rubble.
* '''Parodied''': The victim is killed by a massive barrage of teddy bears, soft pillows, [[Series/MontyPythonsFlyingCircus comfy chairs]] and water balloons.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Having defeated Alice, Bob menaces her with a [[MoreDakka small army's worth of weapons]]. He ends up shooting her with a tiny gun instead... which ends up completely vaporizing Alice with an immense, spectacular explosion anyways. Turns out the unimpressive gun actually fires miniature [[NukeEm nuclear warheads]].
* '''Averted''': The amount of force used to kill someone is equal to the person itself.
* '''Enforced''': "The show will be more awesome if the characters do way more than necessary."
* '''Lampshaded''': "Isn't all this a bit much?"
* '''Invoked''': Bob brings a minigun when everyone else brings a pistol
* '''Exploited''': Alice first send her minions in to take care of Bob. After they're defeated, Alice ambushes Bob, knowing that he is left exhausted.
* '''Defied''': Bob kills every enemy with a [[OneHitKill single shot.]]
* '''Discussed''': "Why do we always have to be '''absolutely''' sure that every bad guy is dead?"
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Implied''': The heroes go through a lengthy LockAndLoadMontage.
** The heroes use so much ammo that they run out and are quickly killed.
** Alternately, going all-out with the weaponry causes so much collateral damage that heroes fail their mission.
** The heroes are considered insane for being so excessive and everyone else is wary around them.
** The heroes bring more ammo to account for their increased use.
** The heroes have an explicit license to do whatever it takes to complete the mission, collateral damage be damned.
** The heroes fail to overkill one villain and their side pays greatly for it when, NotQuiteDead, he returns to wreak havoc. Now their allies understand that it may be grisly, but some things are better safe than sorry.
* '''Played For Laughs''':
** The heroes look absolutely ridiculous under the amount of weapons they have on them.
** The amount of [[MoreDakka Dakka]] Produced by the combined weapons fire forms a WaveMotionGun, even if no such weapon is being used.
* '''Played For Drama''': The Heroes are on the receiving end of such a barrage.
[[ThereIsNoKillLikeOverkill I just riddled the villain full of bullets, set his body on fire, called in an air strike, and as I was driving away to escape said air strike, ran his dead body over about four times.]]
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion: