'''Basic Trope''': A character, despite his or her skills in dealing with a specific type of threat, is killed easily by the threat to demonstrate how serious the threat is.
* '''Straight''': [[OldMaster Bob]], a master warrior who has killed thousands of [[OurOrcsAreDifferent orcs]], is killed by the big bad orc.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob who trained his whole life to kill the big bad orc [[CurbStompBattle doesn't even get noticed by the big bad orc]].
* '''Downplayed''': Bob studied about different methods of killing. They would work on the big bad orc were it not for the fact that he got horribly wounded and only just managed to get away with his life.
** Bob is only human, and no amount of training could allow him to defeat the big bad orc.
** Bob's mentor gave Bob bad advice.
** No amount of expertise can protect Bob from random chance; the Orc archers kill him with a random arrow before the battle is even properly joined.
** Bob needs prep time, and the twists of the plot deny him that.
** Bob is betrayed by CommanderContrarian Jim and caught with his pants down.
** Our Orcs Are Different. Bob has a chance against garden variety ''Lord Of The Rings''-style orcs, but against the plot's experimental super-orcs that are essentially necromantic copies of the Incredible Hulk with adamantine-steel skin and fifteen brains for redundancy, well...
* '''Inverted''': Bob, for the first time him his life fires a shotgun at an orc and kills it.
* '''Subverted''': Bob's death was simply a ploy to lure the orc into a false sense of victory.
* '''Double Subverted''': Bob knowing that orcs eat their victim, poisons himself to poison the orc, but the orc wasn't feeling very good and decides not to eat Bob.
* '''Parodied''': [[LargeHam Bob]], [[TheRedBaron the Slayer of Orcs]], wearing thick armor and bristling with weapons, enters the field and is shot down by an orc archer in five seconds, before he can finish his speech.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob's plan to take the orc with him fails when it turns out that really wasn't an orc.
* '''Averted''': Bob, a well trained orc killer never encounters an orc in battle, and doesn't die.
* '''Enforced''': "Let's kill Bob off to make sure that TheHero has to take on the BigBad alone."
* '''Lampshaded''': "[[MentorOccupationalHazard Why do my mentors always die?]] If they are ''real'' experts, they shouldn't get killed this easily."
** Bob was brought up as a fighter to amuse the orc, who can normally easily take down any human.
** The Orcs know Bob is the real threat, so they make careful plans to assassinate him before he can be of use to the heroes.
* '''Exploited''': The orc, knowing that the heroes have the power to defeat him, demonstrates his power against orc-killing Bob to try and scare off the heroes.
* '''Defied''': Bob refuses to go into battle unless he is well guarded, well armed, and completely prepared.
* '''Discussed''': "Let's go for Bob. He's the Orc Slayer. If we kill him, they'll surrender."
* '''Conversed''': "We'd better put an exta guard around Bob." "I agree, the orcs will want to kill the Orc Slayer first."
* '''Deconstructed''': While Bob was a skilled orc killer in his prime, he is aware that age is catching up with him and throws himself into battle against as many orcs as he can, hoping to die a fitting, honorable death.
* '''Reconstructed''': If we train a hundred like Bob, one of them will probably succeed.
Back to TheWorldsExpertOnGettingKilled
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???