'''Basic Trope''': A character is watching[=/=]listening to a taped monologue from another character. When the listening character makes a statement, the character on tape responds as if they heard what was said.
* '''Straight''': Bob is watching a video that Alice has made and sent him. When Bob raises a skeptical objection to a claim Alice has made, Alice rebuts his objection as if she heard it.
** Alice is able to predict everything that Bob says and respond to it.
** Bob stops the tape and phones Alice. Her answer phone message says "Bob, stop messing about and watch the video."
** The Alice on the tape tells Bob to stop trying to call her and waits until she gets back.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob's objection is met with a rebuttal because Alice had included a list of objections and rebuttals on the tape (including quite a few no-one raised).
** Bob is ''very'' predictable in his responses.
** Alice is psychic or a time traveller.
** Alice knows Bob intimately enough to be able to predict his reactions, since she knows him that well.
* '''Inverted''': Bob knows exactly what Alice will say on the tape before Alice says it.
** Bob raises an objection. Alice counters on the tape, but what she predicted Bob would say was wrong.
** The "tape" is actually a radio transmitter[=/=]receiver, and Alice is responding live.
* '''Doubly Subverted''': Bob gloats that Alice was wrong, but Alice smirks and counters with not only the correct response to the previous comment but a response to Bob's smug gloating, adding: "Just kidding..."
** Bob and Alice start arguing through the tape, eventually degenerating into a childish "Did!" "Didn't!" back-and-forth.
** Alice on the video suddenly starts saying random answers to apparent unheard questions while Bob listens in confusion. Turns out, Alice attempted to pull this trope off, but failed miserably.
** Bob intentionally tries to be the SpannerInTheWorks and does something completely random...only for Alice's recording to respond to that perfectly. Yep, Bob is so predictable, even [[MindScrew his unpredictability is predictable.]]
** Bob starts a game of patty-cake with the screen and Alice responds perfectly, even when he flubs.
* '''Zig Zagged''': ???
* '''Averted''': Bob just watches the tape, and there's no 'dialogue' with Alice.
* '''Enforced''': "Wouldn't it be funny if Alice knew what Bob was going to say even though she isn't there?"
* '''Lampshaded''': "Oh, come on! Am I really that predictable?" ''"Yes Bob, you really are that predictable."''
* '''Invoked''': "Knowing Bob, he'll probably ask for some kind of explanation. I'll just record the answers to his questions, and freak him out."
* '''Exploited''': ???
** "Knowing Alice, she probably already recorded the answers to any questions I might ask. I'll just say completely random stuff, because that's funny."
** "Or, maybe, I won't say anything... That's sure to throw her plan off the tracks."
* '''Discussed''': "Did she do that 'prerecorded responses' trick on you?"
* '''Conversed''': "Oookay, it's just a movie, I'll just suspend my disbelief and pretend making such a video would be possible."
* '''Deconstructed''': Alice is only able to 'predict' what Bob will say and do through an elaborate hoax.
* '''Reconstructed''': But Alice eventually gets so good at the hoax that she begins doing it for real.
[[TheTapeKnewYouWouldSayThat The Page Knew You Would Want To Go Back]]
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???