'''Basic Trope''': The smartest member of the FiveManBand.
* '''Straight''': Bob is not as skilled at fighting as the other members of the group, but he's a genius.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob knows everything about the universe.
** Bob may be the smartest member of the group, but not by much.
** Bob's knowledge only extends to one or two specific fields.
** Bob has the least physical strength of anyone on the team, but makes up for it by being WeakButSkilled and finding all sorts of ways he can apply his abilities to any situation.
* '''Justified''': Bob began his education at a very young age and/or is a prodigy.
* '''Subverted''': Bob appears to be smart, but he's just a quack.
* '''Double Subverted''':...Which is [[ObfuscatingStupidity that's what he wants you to think.]] [[GeniusDitz It's hard to tell]].
* '''Parodied''': ExtravertedNerd.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob starts out as the smart guy, but then reveals that his intelligence is a result of an AppliedPhlebotinum and he is actually an idiot. ''Then'' it turns out that Bob lied about the AppliedPhlebotinum, [[ObfuscatingStupidity and is truly smart.]] '''Then''' it turn out that it was Bob's EvilTwin all along, and the real Bob is smart, just not as smart as he pretended to be in the first place.
* '''Averted''': Everyone's smart so there's no definite Smart Guy.
* '''Enforced''': The actor playing TheSmartGuy has made it clear in his contract that his character must be very wise and all-knowing.
* '''Lampshaded''': "[[InsufferableGenius I know a lot more than you about those glyphs. You need me.]]"
* '''Invoked''': Bob's mom puts him in all sorts of programs at a young age to try to boost his intelligence.
* '''Exploited''': The villain kidnaps Bob, knowing that without his intellect, TheTeam is helpless.
* '''Defied''': Bob decides he doesn't want to be known for his intellect, and [[ObfuscatingStupidity Obfuscates Stupidity]], becoming BrilliantButLazy.
** "This is Bob. He's the brains of the operation."
** "See, they all call him smart all the time, so you know any clever plans are gonna come out of him -- don't expect to see him get physical."
* '''Conversed''': "Here's the part of the show where Bob has the EurekaMoment to ReverseThePolarity in time for Hiro to save the day."
** Bob's education was the result of his EducationMama whose regiment excluded anything that wasn't academic, thus explaining his GeekPhysique and lack of skills outside academics.
** Bob sees his worth as tied up in his intellect.
** Bob has a mental condition that compels him to devour any and all information he can come across. He'll do ''anything'' to get more data.
** The other four realize that Bob doesn't come up with anything much more useful than what any of the others come up with, and because he's TheLoad, they kick him off TheTeam.
** Bob's mom arranged study sessions and other educational activities in groups of likeminded kids so ThePowerOfFriendship would amplify the experience and prevent anyone of them from becoming over-burdened or overspecialized.
** Bob sees his intellect as what he contributes to TheTeam and feels proud of this but doesn't let it define him.
** Bob has a mental condition that compels him to devour any and all information he can come across. He'll do ''anything'' to get more data. This is why he has a MoralityChain who shuts him down whenever he shouts ForScience
** Bob uses his intelligence to be a GadgeteerGenius, GuileHero, TeamChef, and/or TheStrategist. Thus he is always helpful in some way to the team.
Back to TheSmartGuy